Voltage Drop

Originally Posted By: vsantos
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I know this is beyond the scope of a typical home inspection but…

I inspected a home with a voltage drop of 15.5 on a 15amp circuit and am looking for information on the cause and effect of such a thing.

Does anyone know of an on-line article or site the explains exactly what voltage drop is and the caused for excessive voltage drops?

Originally Posted By: jpope

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/viewtopic.php?t=11044

http://www.psihq.com/iread/faqvolt.htm

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: pdickerson

Vince,

Excessive voltage drop from the panel to the end of a circuit is usually the result of either excessive wire length or poor electrical connections (back stabbed outlets, loose wire nuts, etc.)

Originally Posted By: tallen

pdickerson wrote:
Vince,
(back stabbed outlets, loose wire nuts, etc.)

In a typical dwelling, this is common place. Is it our job as HI's to check for voltage drop? Remember "visual inspection"

I will admit that since I started using the "sure test" I do check VD , but it is so far out of my scope that I do not mention the VD only the need for a Sparky. So far, I have never found a VD of 7% or more that did not have other problems that let me defer to a Sparky without mentioning the VD.

Does that make seance? ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

--
I have put the past behind me,
where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: tallen

seance???

I have put the past behind me,

where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: jmurphy1

I’ve replaced a lot of old wall outlet receptacles and it’s very common to find one in which the screw clamping the wire to the outlet has loosened considerably over the years.

A lot of the old houses around here have lights and outlets on the same circuit.

Another thing I run into is ceiling lights creating a lot of heat and damaging the wiring to the light fixture. The insulation around the wire and the wire itself is very brittle. I think part of the problem may be people putting 75 or 100 watt light bulbs in fixtures which are supposed to have 60 watt bulbs. If there are two bulbs there is a lot of heat.