WA State SPI Link and Letter to Realtors

Here’s a Link to the WSU Structural Pest IPM, looks like a great site although I haven’t had time to go through all of it.

http://structuralpest.wsu.edu/

I just got off the Phone with Dr. Soumi who sent me the link along with the letter to the Reators I have mentioned in other Posts. We discussed the Liability to Realtors who recommend an Unlicensed Home Inspector and the Techinical Legality of a Home Inspector signing off on his/her Home Inspection Report that contains mention of anything conducive to WDO, even if they Sub out the SPI Inspection, according to Soumi the HOme Inspector cannot legally mention any condusive issues or conditions within his report without having a WSDA SPI License. He also reminded me of the Power of the Realty Industry in Washington…Once the Home Inspector walks into the Home to be Inspected, the Seller and the Realty Agent are no Longer Liable for any known or unkonwn conditions that may exist in the Home, the conditions become the liability and responsiblility of the Home Inspector, who is also Liable for any errors or ommissions from any sub contractor. Soumi’s email address is at the bottom of the letter if you disagree with what I’ve said. Here’s a copy of the Realtor Letter:

Real Estate Licensees – Please Take Note

The Washington State Department of Agriculture (WSDA) is receiving numerous complaints from homebuyers about unlicensed and inexperienced structural pest inspectors. Many of these complaints concern inspectors that some of you are recommending to your clients. A state law, designed to protect consumers, is very clear: anyone inspecting properties for wood destroying organisms, damage, or conditions leading to these pests must be licensed by WSDA as a Structural Pest Inspector (SPI).

Virtually all home inspectors report on one or more of these problems and require the SPI license. For example, if a home inspection report mentions leaky pipes, plugged gutters, poor ventilation or rot (damage), the inspector has performed a structural pest inspection. State law requires that the inspection be thorough and accurate and a readily visible Inspection Control Number (ICN) be assigned to it. If an ICN is not on the inspection report, it cannot legally be used for a real estate transaction.

By referring unlicensed inspectors to prospective homebuyers or by accepting an illegal inspection report, you place yourself in a potentially litigious situation. Don’t add this liability to yourself or your business.

The bottom line:

·Inform your clients that most, if not all, “home inspections” will include elements of a structural pest inspection and must be done by a WSDA licensed inspector.
·Don’t recommend inspectors unless you know them to be a properly licensed SPI. It is illegal and unethical to do otherwise. After all, would you hire an unlicensed, uninsured inspector for your own home?
·Better yet, direct clients to WSDA’s website listing of SPIs and let them choose their own inspector. This can be found at:

http://agr.wa.gov/PestFert/Licensing...Inspectors.htm

WSDA-licensed inspectors, at the very least, have passed an exam, licensed their
company, and provided WSDA with proof of financial coverage.

·Never accept an inspection report for a real estate transaction unless there is an ICN assigned to it. ICNs must be placed in the upper third of the report’s front page and have the following format: NNNNLLNNN, where N is a number and L is a letter.
·Put the liability where it belongs – on the inspector, not on you, your client or your broker.

If you have questions about structural pest inspections, please contact Dr. Dan Suomi at 360.902.2044 or via email at dsuomi@agr.wa.gov.

I will email a copy of the letter to anyone who wants it

·Put the liability where it belongs – on the inspector, not on you, your client or your broker.

It belongs on Pest Inspector, but they’ve managed to shift the blame with a highly effective lobby.