Wadsworth Panel

Originally Posted By: jpope
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

It’s me again icon_biggrin.gif

I came across this one today. Can anyone tell me how to determine the service amperage without pulling the main fuses?

To make things more interesting, this is what the service entrance looks like

Comments?

Please. . .

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: Brian A. Goodman

Very strange. Of the top of my head I would say to look at the wire size going to the main pull-out. Everything seems to be fed through there except possibly that block (?) below it. The fuses are different physical sizes as well, so you might be able to get an idea if you knew the measurements (main block relative to standard fuse lengths).

Aw heck, just yank the dang thing! The guy needs a new panel. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Brian A. Goodman wrote:
Aw heck, just yank the dang thing! The guy needs a new panel. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

Needs to have the overhead service drop raised too.

That needs to have more clearance between the service drop conductors and the roof (18" is allowed OVER THE OVERHANG PORTION ONLY).

Now, when replacing the mast and service entrance conductors, they can replace the main panels at the same time. Sound okay to you Brian?

I would not state the service size, I would state what you can see (i.e., conductor size) then allude to the supposition that the service COULD be that size, or smaller, because the fuses may be smaller, or, HEAVEN FORBID ( ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif) ) the fuses are LARGER, but that you just don't know (because you don't).

"When the electrician is on site making other repairs (not the overhead service drop is too close to the roof), the electrician should also verify the service equipment disconnect size, its relation to the service entrance conductors, blah, blah, blah."

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Nothing to say about the twin masts? I’d put money on the lower fuse block being fed directly from the closer mast and SEC, bypassing the meter.

Thoughts?

--
Jeff Pope
(661) 212-0738

jpope wrote:
Nothing to say about the twin masts? I'd put money on the lower fuse block being fed directly from the closer mast and SEC, bypassing the meter.

Thoughts?

I figured it was a townhouse or condo, there looked to be one in the distance too.

Guess not.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Single family home. That is a vent in the distance. Both masts directly above that panel.

Jeff Pope

“At JPI, we’ll help you look better”

(661) 212-0738

jpope wrote:
Nothing to say about the twin masts? I'd put money on the lower fuse block being fed directly from the closer mast and SEC, bypassing the meter.

Thoughts?

Just another reason (another good reason) to have the electrician rip it all out and start over.

Looks like somebody did something screwy at one time, and may have been adding to the screwiness (is that a word? ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif) ) of it over time.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

[quote=“jpeck”]

Looks like somebody did something screwy at one time, and may have been adding to the screwiness (is that a word? ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif) ) of it over time.

In this instance, that is indeed a word.

Originally Posted By: tschwalbe

Correct me if I am wrong but it apears that the splice to the main drop bypassed the power meter and feeds something that they are not paying for? Look at it 2 drops only 1 meter. Something fishey going there.

jpope wrote:
I'd put money on the lower fuse block being fed directly from the closer mast and SEC, bypassing the meter.

--
Jeff Pope
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: rpalac

Jeff,

How many meters? Is there two (only one is shown).

It doesn’t look unussual to me. It seems as though this a doule service.

The first looks like 2/0 wire feeding a 100 amp panel throiugh a main. The second looks like a 60 amp that could be for a sub panel or off peak.

Just sermizing. It's difficult when your not there. The only thing I see out of the ordinary is the mast height. The ceter tap is the ground rod wire more than likely.

Ps Wadsworth was a decent panel at one time. 60's
Bob P.

One meter.

I just don't see a reason for the second mast and SEC. There was no additional panels on the property either.

--
Jeff Pope
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: rpalac

THE SECONDMAQST LOOKS LIKE IT FEEDS THE BOTTOM BREAKER IN THE SEPERATE PANEL UNDENEATH. wHAT DOES THAT PANEL FEED.

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

Jeff

230.2 NEC 2002.

Mike P.

Please elaborate Mike, I don’t have the NEC books icon_sad.gif

Jeff Pope

“At JPI, we’ll help you look better”

(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

230.2 Number of Services.

A building or other structure served shall be supplied by only one service unless permitted in 230.2(A) through (D). For the purpose of 230.40, Exception No. 2 only, underground sets of conductors, 1/0 AWG and larger, running to the same location and connected together at their supply end but not connected together at their load end shall be considered to be supplying one service.

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

I had a fuse panel yesterday I couldn’t figure out the service amperage on. Had three (3) meters on the service mast & from inside I couldn’t make heads nor tails out of it. Panel was rated at 100amps, but that don’t tell you much. Nothing written on the blocks except Range & (can’t recall the other offhand).

I just wrote, service amperage couldn’t be determined, & recommended an electrician evaluate the system ( there were many other issues as well)

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Do you have any? ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

--
Jeff Pope
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

Well, the one of the panels didn’t come out due to operator error icon_redface.gif , but here’s the mast & meters.

--
Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Looks like someone at the power company figured out a way to triple profits. icon_biggrin.gif