Want to become Inspector

Hi,

I want to start with working to become an Property Inspector.

I do not know where to begin…

I live in NJ…about 30 yrs old…have a full time job…working to get my real estate licence in about a months time…

I’m also interested in starting to become inspector…to have it on the side too…

Not sure…how to go about it as i ready lot of certifications…

can someone please guide me?

Thanks,

http://www.nachi.org/join.htm

Don’t give up your day job just yet. Continue pursuing your real estate license. You will be able to inspect homes for referrals your fellow salesmen/women will be sending you. I wish I was sharp enough to do both. Good luck.

I would assume that NJ is a tough place to do inspections part-time. The licensing costs/requirements, namely E&O insurance, make it difficult.

Find something else. 40% of all home inspectors have left the business since 2008.

Great time to get in. 40% of all home inspectors have left the business since 2008.

ha ha ha :slight_smile:

Troops are coming home.

Thanks much for all your responses.

Oh yeah Troops are comming home…and might be 40% leaving is opportunity to get into this…who knows…

I do want to get into Inspection along with RE sales…so I think I would always develop a stream of clients who would want inspections done…

As mentioned, I will start with joining NACHI…and start with taking courses and filling requirements…

Once licenced…Should I do it as Independent inspector or should I be associated with a firm to do inspections?

Hi All,

Thanks Much for all the responses.

Troops are comming back…oh yeah…and 40% have already left this…well thats good…thats an opportunity…and I want to combine this with my RE sales person licence…so actully i want my one network (which I will be developing) feed clientile for another Skill that i develop and make $$ of…

Yes I know NACHI is great place to start, and it looks like it might take for me about 2-3 months to get the course work and requirements done to apply for Licence…
I will start as soon as my all RE licence exams are done…

I have 2 more questions…

1. Are there any unique Inspector qualifications that are high in demand?

2. Once I get my licence …should I start under somebody or can I be independent?

Thanks again for all responses…Great Group of People…

Once you get your license or get certified, you should be good to go. You’ll learn as you go along. You have a good chance of missing deficiencies on your first 200 or so inspections. If you don’t get sued out of business, you’ll be on easy street after that.

Brilliant last sentence… especially given he’s in New Jersey.

Here’s a Suggestion.

Before you start inspecting homes that you are either the listing and or buyers agent for, you should understand what a conflict of interest is.

Conflict of interest - a conflict between the private interests and the official responsibilities of a person in a position of trust.

I suggest you start here. State of New Jersey.

PROOF OF EDUCATION -Please provide proof (original certificates awarded by the school) that you successfully completed the 180 home inspection approved course of study, which shall include not less than 40 hours of unpaid field based inspections under the supervision of a licensed home inspector, as provided by the school providing the course of study pursuant to N.J.S.A. 45:8-68(c)(1).

OR

C2) **PROOF OF 250 HOME INSPECTIONS**- This provision only  applies to individuals that have not passed an approved course of study  through the NJ Department of Education

Thanks Kevin for the suggestion…I sure would be careful about Conflict of Interest…I would ofcourse want to keep two seperate…

Thanks, Linas! for to the point advise…

From what I read in couple of responses …is State of NJ is kind of tough state to get into this…

Are NJ laws so strick on inspectors or very easy on general public to sue inspectors? - I will be researching this more. (Thanks Ben for your input, Any insight (examples) you can provide would be very helpful)

Thanks a lot Chris for a great start up page…I think I start with taking courses here…and go from there…

Any of you can suggest good NJ inspectors you know that would take me under their wing…would be very helpful…

Thanks a lot for all your opinions…

Best Regards,
Jigar