Want to get your foot in the door?

Excellent, Dale.

I particularly find interesting your ASTM compliance for estimating repairs by providing three actual quotes instead of your own estimation. Very interesting.

Hey, am I missing something here? what are you guys looking at? Dale I am still here you know. ha. ha.

Marcel :slight_smile: :smiley: :wink:

Why do I feel like an Orphan?

Hey Guys,

I don’t have anyway to upload the Binder where all the information about the inspection was placed…:shock:

If you’re going to use sub-contractors to write reports with estimates you have to find them in your city before you can even put a report together.

That in it self is an issue if you don’t know folks in the trades, or preferably retired folks from their actual trade who want to do small jobs or write electrical, HVAC, plumbing reports with estimates. It is hard to find companies who will go anywhere with you the same time you intend to be there at the property, so finding semi-retired trade people is the only thing which worked for me.

What I did and how I do it is in the first post, this is not the first time I have hand delivered sample reports to commercial real estate companies, but it’s the first report I actually added everything which would be in a property condition report rather than my usual way of doing a commercial inspection which MOST buyers want anyway…basically the same as a home inspection report but adding the different components and systems in the report which naturally are not in a home.

All I printed was ten full reports (and added everything in post 1 here), put them in binders with tabs for the various sections of the report and dropped them off at the front desk of ten different commercial real estate companies here.

Like Barry said, you really need to make your own sample report, get the repair quotes, environmental reports, etc. and put it together for the area you live in if you want the report to resemble a property condition report rather than a basic inspection report.

But making a sample commercial report basically like a home inspection report without even remotely looking like a property condition report works just as well, you simply have to make the sample as professional looking as possible, put it in a nice binder with tabs for the sections of the report and drop them off at commercial real estate offices, you don’t need to talk to a soul, if it’s a good looking report, it will be passed around the office like an empty hat wanting money tossed in it.

I don’t leave brochures, cards, nothing, just a GOOD sample report, with one business card in the front pocket of the binder, all my company information is on the front cover of the Three Ring Binder with the picture of the building that was inspected, so NOTHING else is necessary.

Good advise.
Was just hoping to see a PDF sample report.
Thanks Dale.

Bob,

You find semi-retired contractors who will go to the inspection with you to give the client a pretty darn close estimate of what it’s going to cost to make the repairs and NOT want the work himself and your on your way to having a successful commercial inspection business, some commercial buyers don’t want to read you recommended further evaluation by a licensed contractor, they want prices. Find the right ex-semi-retired-contractors who will do all the work for you, put it in writing, and you add it to the report.

That is the trick, you have to search far and wide to find these guys, anyone with a full blown commercial construction company is not going to any inspection, write a report, and provide an estimate, they don’t need the work.

You have to provide something close to what the repairs are going to cost, the buyer does not care about the report if you intend to charge big bucks and have him get the estimates after simply recommending in the report to find a licensed contractor to give him an estimate.

But MOST of them don’t want to pay for me to do this, that is why I’m trying to get more agents and clients who do want this type of inspection report, MOST DON’T want to pay for it, so I’m simply trying to open some new doors to agents who do have these type of clients.

And like I said in the first post, I think I already found one agent-client who does, the shopping center with a purchase offer.

Just wondering , or curious to see the contactor comments, and how they blend into the report.
As I gain more and more experience , I see the very real need people have to get a price quote or reasonably accurate estimate.

'Round these parts we call 'em red-headed-step-child, almost the same but much less kindness and attention…:twisted:

Did you come from one of those families that was so broke they couldn’t even *pay *attention…:mrgreen:

Can you come out and play? :wink:

I can come out and play Barry.
I just can’t afford to spend the night

You been watching too much Boston Legal…I never said anything about a “sleep over” :mrgreen:

I’m headed in another direction if you get my drift, mom’s callin’…good night…see ya tomorrow

Same

Hey, I thought semi-retired tradespeople were just called inspectors.

Great guidance, Dale - Many thanks!

Denny Crane…:mrgreen:

Dale sounds fantastic, question about the binders, when you say fancy do you mean the kind with plastic coils all the way up the back or three ring style. Just curious , but sounds like the sample book to set high standards.
Do you include pics in your report or just a few to high light problems deficiencies or a combo of both good and bad to keep it rounded off