Warning, imposter attacks NACHI Inspectors! (Previously Fun and Games in NH)

Paul,

The member (past) Joseph Bates, who has been removed from the member roles.

Ahhh…never heard of them…guess I was before my time…sorry Joe F…just wanted to know who the guys were.

Frank,

As Joe made no mention of NACHI on his company website, and based on his involvement with ASHI and legislation in your neck of the woods, tell me how and why he became a member in NACHI.

Joseph Bates, Somersworth NH.

ASHI Immediate Past President
Certifications / Memberships
►[FONT=Verdana] Certified Member of ASHI #202429 [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial](American Society of Home Inspectors) [/FONT]
[FONT=Batang]► Founding Membe[/FONT][FONT=Verdana]r of NNEC-ASHI
(Northern New England Chapter of ASHI)
► President of NNEC-ASHI (2001-2004) [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]( Northern New England Chapter of ASHI)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]Joseph Bates, Somersworth NH.

ASHI Immediate Past President

[/FONT]►[FONT=Verdana] Certified Member of ASHI #202429 [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial](American Society of Home Inspectors) [/FONT]
[FONT=Batang]► Founding Membe[/FONT][FONT=Verdana]r of NNEC-ASHI
(Northern New England Chapter of ASHI)
► President of NNEC-ASHI (2001-2004) [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]( Northern New England Chapter of ASHI)[/FONT]****

Jim!

I want to thank you for your kind words. They mean a lot, and are greatly appreciated. .

How he became of NACHI? By taken the NACHI test, and taking the NACHI “Code of Ethics test”, etc.

By his use of the NACHI Trade mark and his “Hi-Jacking” of the NACHI New Hampshire State Chapter’s E-Mail address he has Violated the law. I hope that Nick takes legal action against him.

By his many disparaging remarks he is clearly in violation of the NACHI COE. By his singular promotion of ASHI and negative remarks aimed at NACHI he is clearly in violation of the COE.

QUOTE:
The NACHI member shall assist the NACHI leadership in disseminating and publicizing the benefits of NACHI membership.

The NACHI member will not engage in any act or practice that could be deemed damaging, seditious or destructive to NACHI, fellow NACHI members, NACHI employees, leadership or directors. Member(s) accused of acting or deemed in violation of such rules shall be reviewed by the Ethics committee for possible sanctions and/or expulsion from NACHI.
END QUOTE:

Other ASHI members have told me that “his Chapter” paid his dues to join NACHI. This of course I cannot verify. But……I ask you why would a PERSON WITH THIS BACKGROUND JOIN NACHI

► Certified Member of ASHI #202429 (American Society of Home Inspectors)
Founding Member of NNEC-ASHI (Northern New England Chapter of ASHI)
► President of NNEC-ASHI (2001-2004) ( Northern New England Chapter of ASHI)

and then not mention it to anyone, nor have any mention of it on his website.

As to the why… Mr. Bates told me that he got his “copy” of the New Hampshire Home Inspectors Bill off of the “Members only” section of the NACHI BB. I explained to him that it was just a rough draft and that ***he should not be quoting it. ***

Other ASHI members have told me that the “Members Only section” of the NACHI BB is where Mr. Bates gets his “Inside Information”.

*]We have been, and continue to be in a long hard fight.
This is why, when it comes to New Hampshire and ***our battle against ASHI ***I have done my best to stay off of the BB. and I will continue to do so.

Frank, I don’t think you are correct. While I don’t agree with what this person has done, I don’t think he has broken the law. What about this site? http://www.nachi-fujikoshi.co.jp/eng/index.html They use the letters nachi in their website address also. Just because someone uses those letters in their company name or url, does not mean they have broken the law. Maybe Joe Ferry could comment…Joe?

Joe,

WITH ALL DUE RESPECT… Mr. Bates is one of the founders of ASHI New England, He is the immediate past President of ASHI New England, He is a co-author of the defeated ASHIFIED New Hampshire Home Inspectors Licensing bill {House Bill 642} that was written “Straight Down the Line” after the ASHI “Model” Licensing Law.

Apparently he became a member of NACHI so that he could gather information from the “Members Only” section of this BB.

He has violated the law by using this E-Mail address: NACHINH@Comcast.net

Our State Chapter’s legitimate E-mail address is NACHI-NH@Comcast.Net

• I ask you…why should ***his illegal, ***duplicitous and disingenuous behavior convince our lawmakers in New Hampshire that “No Licensing is needed at this time.?”
    If that is the case then this argument dictates that if anyone opposes anything at all, then all they have to do is…break the law, lie, and the matter that THEY ARE TRYING TO DEFEAT will just “Go Away”!

Then this violation of a Trademark law, and duplicitous statements would erase 17-months of hard work. Five {5} months of intense research, and many, many hours, days, and months of interaction with our State Representatives, and fellow home inspctors.

*]That would be just “Handing them a Victory!”
THIS IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!

This story is long and ugly. In an effort to defeat the New Hampshire Home Inspectors Bill the ASHI Coalition has been E-mailing, and calling all NACHI members.

There is a huge a$$ difference between a corporation with the LEGITIMATE acronym “NACHI” and a founding member and immediate past President of ASHI with this background and credentials using this **ASHI E-Mail address’ **NACHINH@Comcast.Net as opposed to our Legitimate NACHI State Chapter E-Mail address NACHI-NH@Comcast.Net

Ø Mr. Bates was the Co-author of the ASHIFIED House Bill 642. It was defeated. He now opposes our bill. He has formed a “Coalition” to fight our bill.

Here is his information.
JOSEPH BATES

**Certifications / Memberships **

**► Certified Member of ASHI #202429 **
**(American Society of Home Inspectors) **

** Founding Member of NNEC-ASHI **
**(Northern New England Chapter of ASHI) **

**► President of NNEC-ASHI (2001-2004) **
( Northern New England Chapter of ASHI)

Joe Bates <M>
OmniSpect
Dover, NH 03820
888-490-6664
office@omnispect.net
www.omnispect.net](http://www.omnispect.net/)

**You are right. This is a legal matter. It should be addressed by Nick and NACHI’s legal consul. **

*]**I do not think it is wise or ETHICAL for an attorney to discuss this in a public forum. **

Where has all the discussions been lately??

Am I missing things here?

There is a LOT of information that is not and will not be posted here. Much has been discussed with the Code of Ethics committee.

Mr. Joseph Bates, founder of ASHI New England and immediate past President of ASHI-NE has committed some serious violations.

His membership in NACHI has been revoked. End of story.

I will fill you in at the next NACHI State Chapter meeting.

Whether illegal or not, there are some basic facts at play here.

Use of the word or acronym NACHI is not, in and of itself, an illegal act if one has legitimate business reasons for doing so. With this in mind, one needs to only look at the INTENT with regard to the creation of a shadow e-mail address, and distribution of materials under this name, to understand what’s really going on.

As to Mr. Bates, there is no mention of NACHI association membership anywhere on his website. He wishes to bring himself as a NACHI member, plus 2 guests to our meeting, yet his own coalition meeting prohibits all but members from attending. His position seems hypocritical, at best.

Further, the path he has chosen to follow includes formation of a coalition which is in direct opposition to the bill which had replaced the previous version of the licensing bill. Thier intent is NOT in opposition to HI legislation. Oh no. Their position is in FAVOR of HI legislation, built to their own rather subjective standards, putting them in clear and absolute control. So, let’s not be fooled.

To be a member of his coalition, one must pass the NHIE, have a minimum number of inspections performed, minimum education, etc. Its funny, as one of the reasons he opposes the current legislation, is the fact that to be a licensed inspector, one would need to complete 100 inspections under the supervision of a licensed HI. On one breath, he opposes grandfathering and a 100 mentored inspection rule, and on the other, he puts benchmarks in place for membership in his own coalition.

His coalition opposes a NH residency reqirement for licensure. In my opinion, including this in any HI bill is forward-thinking, as it puts a State in a better position for building reciprocity between neighboring states. Yet, he is more concerned with Vermont and Massachusetts inspectors, than his own state member inspectors. Again, it seems hypocritical.

Further, the coalition version of the bill opposes more than one “outsider” from being appointed to a HI licensing board. Also, the qualifications for membership on this board includes 10 years in the business, and being an active HI. These conditions pave the way for the creation of an all-powerful HI board made up of a close knit family of old-timers (no disrespect intended), who will be chartered with shaping (or destroying) the industry in NH for years to come.

The coalition does not want to recognize NACHI’s exam or the ICC exam for licensure. They cannot understand validating any other exam but their own. They push a pure NHIE agenda. Why? It’s al about control. They’re following the ASHI playbook. All testing dollars go to the EBPHI. No other test is apparently good enough. What a load of crap.

They support the notion of NO GRANDFATHERING. They do so under the guise of everyone being treated fairly. Hardly.

They oppose inclusion of a code compliance officer, a PE, and multiple members of the public sector being on the licensing board. Only curent inspectors with 10 or more years in the business, plus one member from the public sector. Think they are trying to stack the deck? I do. They are practically CRYING over this portion of the bill. Why? Because they become accountable, and loose absolute control. That’s why.

Absent of people from other sectors, or an attemopt at the balance of power on a licensing board, HIs are headed for a parade of pain. So, for that matter, could easily be the public.

They opppose the E&O requirement for new inspectors, and not for seasoned inspectors. While slightly painful for newer guys, the facts bear out that newer inspectors, statistically, get sued for performing faulty inspections far more often that seasoned guys. While I may personally oppose the requirement, it doesn’t go as far as requiring all inspectors to forever carry E&O. At least there is some logic to it.

And Mr. Bates helped form the coalition.
And made the rules.
And opposes the current bill. And is desperate to do anything to defeat it.
And the new bill will be harmful not only to NACHI members operating in NH, but potentially to any inspector in NH who falls out of favor with these elitists.

And to put icing on the cake, no one on this coalition has the courage to put their name to the invitation or “manifesto” they have chosen to distribute under the shameful guise of NACHI New Hampshire. Instead, they create this BS e-mail address and send this trash to our members.

And, where did they get our member list from? Well, until a couple of days ago, one of our members was none other than Joe Bates.

See a pattern here?

This is due to the fact that the ASHI inspectors in these states are supporting this phony “coalition” of NH ASHI inspectors. The ASHI members bordering this state have most to lose…and are putting a big push behind their NH members to fight the NACHI Bill.

If I were in NH, I would be working hard to let the legislature know that there is no “coalition”…just ASHI trying to revive the Gale Bill that is already dead. Backing the “coalition” is equivalent to campaigning for Al Gore. A steady flow of email to all legislators to this effect would be a good start.

Frank,

I respect your efforts, in a perfect world we would not to have to choose between good and bad legislation; we could all simply go about our business and allow the good aspects of Capitalism work its magic… unfortunately we do not live in a perfect world. You have my full support.

Joe.

Joe,
that is a good post.
in a perfect world organizations would work together instead of
fighting for control in the legislative situation.

competition in business is as old as the hills, and it is part of our
society. Competition for control is a waste of valuable time spent
by intelligent people who have the knowledge to work together
to create good rules and regulations. I guess there is no easy
answer.

CJ

Carla,

Were you not involved in the last legislative effort at some level? Were you working with Harry Gale?

Since ASHI awoke the legislature to the value of legislation, and now it seems inevetable, which proposed form of legislation do you support? The “coalition’s” version, where copntrol goes to hands of a handfull of elitists with no outside or public input or control, or the version being championed by Ms. Kopka and Mr Bruford?

Like I said, legislation is coming for you. Which side of the aisle do you fall on?

In a perfect world, there would be no ASHI legislation model to fight against.:wink:

you are right Jim

Joe,
as i said umpteen times, I did not support HB642. i did work with
Rep. Gale as did others in trying to write legislation that would
work.
I tried to get NACHI and ASHI to work together to no avail.
at this point i am with Jim in saying legislation solves nothing
and i do not support any legislation. and yes i can change my
mind.
Joe you seem to always be on the defensive with me and you
know nothing about me, other than what you have been told
by others.
i do not give a damn who writes legislation, but i do care if it
is unlettered

Carla,

Here’s the basic problem I have. It comes from your own words:

i did work with Rep. Gale as did others in trying to write legislation that would
work.

Why didnt you fight all legislative efforts back then, since you see no value in it now? You state that you oppose legislation. You apparently didnt before, as you were working with the former Rep to write legislation. The others now opposing the current legislation are some of the same that helped Rep Gale previously, with a different version of HI legislation, no?