Washington state licensing to steal

Originally Posted By: mrichardson
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

A guy named Mel Bosch is trying to push a state licensing initiative based on fomation of a Washington state inspectors association which includes promotion of A$$I and NAHI as one of its stated goals.

Bosch wants to have each inspectors first year dues be $900 and subsequent years $500 as I recall. Further, if an inspector chooses to not join the state organization the inspector's annual license fee is increased several hundred dollars.

What I find interesting is that Bosch has sold his inspection business and "retired." I wonder if he may be looking to fill a paid executive director's role in this organization, and wants to be sure there is enough money to pay for the lifestyle to which he has grown accustomed.

One of the things I find most distressing is that this is cloaked as an effort to serve both the public and the industry, when it will primarily serve the interests of a few.

Thanks,
Mike

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Whoooooosh … (as I hear Nick’s sledge hammer go overhead)

Whomp! .... (at it hits its target).

Okay, you can turn that laser target identifier off now.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: jburkeson

mrichardson wrote:
A guy named Mel Bosch is trying to push a state licensing initiative based on fomation of a Washington state inspectors association which includes promotion of A$$I and NAHI as one of its stated goals.

Bosch wants to have each inspectors first year dues be $900 and subsequent years $500 as I recall. Further, if an inspector chooses to not join the state organization the inspector's annual license fee is increased several hundred dollars.

What I find interesting is that Bosch has sold his inspection business and "retired." I wonder if he may be looking to fill a paid executive director's role in this organization, and wants to be sure there is enough money to pay for the lifestyle to which he has grown accustomed.

One of the things I find most distressing is that this is cloaked as an effort to serve both the public and the industry, when it will primarily serve the interests of a few.

Thanks,
Mike

You can read more information about this here at tij some good information mixed in with just a little NACHI bashing.

--
Joseph Burkeson, RPI (Hooperette)

?Anyone who has proclaimed violence his method inexorably must choose lying as his principle.?
~ Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Originally Posted By: mrichardson

Joseph,

Thanks. I've been getting my info about the Mel Bosch stuff from the Washington state forum at Inspectors Journal.

I'm just curious, the editor usually won't let non-Washingtonians into that particular forum, did you get in?

I've been thinking about how I might distribute to others the drafts that have been presented. One is a charter/bylaws for a Washington home inspectors organization, the other is a draft of proposed legislation.

Thanks,
Mike

Originally Posted By: jburkeson

mrichardson wrote:
I'm just curious, the editor usually won't let non-Washingtonians into that particular forum, did you get in?

Mike,

No I was not able to get into the 'Washington Only' forum, the link I posted will get you to the Open Discussion (Chit-Chat) forum where the Mel Bosch thread is posted.

Since Florida is toying with the idea of licensing HI's I try to keep abreast of the bleeding edge issues going on around the country. There are many people out there who believe they know what is best for us and our profession, stay alert.

--
Joseph Burkeson, RPI (Hooperette)

?Anyone who has proclaimed violence his method inexorably must choose lying as his principle.?
~ Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Originally Posted By: David Suelflow

Be careful what you wish for.

In general, I am in favor of licensing HI?s (after all, it allows me to say that ASHI membership is for states that do not require licensing), but today I found out something that made me shudder. If my licensing board (NC) gets a complaint, they re-inspect the entire home. That is, if a client says you missed an uncovered j-box in the crawl space, they (the NCHILB) will inspect the attic, master bathroom, etc.. I don?t know about you, but I KNOW that if I re-inspect a home, I WILL find something the previous inspector missed (and visa-versa). To me, there seems to be a 4th amendment violation here (i.e. all search warrants must list the specific items to be looked for and anything else found is inadmissible) but from what I?ve heard, if there is a complaint, you are guilty and must prove your innocence. Not only of what has been charged, but also anything you might have missed or that has occurred since the time of inspection. BTW these re-inspections occur an average of 12-14 MONTHS after the original inspection. So much for the verbiage in our SOP, which limits our findings to ?at time of inspection?.

While giving legitimacy to the profession, the board is not on the HI?s side, just the opposite. They are ?looking out for the public good? (what ever that is) and will throw you under the bus as quickly as you can say liability. Thank God I have not had this experience and will do everything in my power to prevent it (even if the R/E agents call me an alarmist). My livelihood is not worth $300.00 or the recommendation of a certain R/E agent.

For what it is worth,

Dave

Originally Posted By: dbowers

David -

Once licensing of HI's occurs in a given area, it seems like just a matter of time before some group with more manpower and more money starts jerking our chain (which is basically everybody). Ralph Nader was the key speaker at ASHI's National Seminar about 7-8 years ago - I remember one thing he really touted for HI's - Resist licensing in your area as long as possible - its generally not in your best interests.