water and septic testing

I am a new inspector in New york, can any one tell me if you need to be certified to test water and septic systems. ( dye test and water collection sample to be sent out for analysis.

John/ J.L.Inspections

I don’t know what the requirements are in NY, but the potential for liability is so great that you need to be sure you know what you’re doing. There’s a lot of bad information out there. Bad information like… dye tests are an acceptable method. They’re not.

If you fail to find a bad one… they can cost upwards of $20,000 to replace. It’s one of the misses that can put you right out of business.

Call your state health department. If they don’t know, then give the state department of natural resources a call. One or the other (or perhaps both) will be the departments that manage the legislation in your state if there is any.

In New York you must use a ELAP Certified Lab for the water test. this info can be found in the Safe Drinking Water Act by the EPA.