Water Down Your Flu Risk

I just read that a humidifier can help keep a home influenza-free. So says Oregon State University researchers. They found that increasing the moisture level in the air causes 80 percent of the flu virus to die within one hour, compared with a 30 percent drop in a dry environment. One theory is that a boost in humidity may deactivate flu molecules while they’re airborne, possibly by altering their size or shape. Set the humidifier to 50 percent, and empty, dry and refill it daily.

I have had a case of Mono going on at least 2 months now that I just found out about.
Regarding any virus you should always wash your hands and I now carry a hand sanitizer with me in the car.

We shake a lot of hands.

green-hand-sanitizer-ben-gromicko.jpg
I agree. I kept a bottle of my favorite inside my inspection van, in the right-side coffee cup holder. :slight_smile:

green-hand-sanitizer-ben-gromicko.jpg

I never did it before and just figured I am Superman.

This illness has kept me from doing much that I would like to accomplish.

I picked up two bottles at the dollar store.

I hear ya. I used to be a backhoe operator, and used to work need deep in septic ditches - Never got ill from it! But I was in my twenties (superman years).

[FONT=Calibri]My understanding about [/FONT]hand sanitizer is only good for 10-15 min, or until you touch something else that has not been sanitized.

I thought it only sanitized and had no protection after use , which is all you really need.

Bet I got sick from shaking hands and eating food or biting a nail.

50% RH is too high for most houses in cold climates. Risk running water from windows and hidden condensation in exterior walls and attics.

Why doesn’t the Texas humidity near the gulf of Mexico stop the flu bug?

Got a link?

Most hand sanitizers use alcohol to kill germs, but make sure it’s got at least 60% content - so says the CDC.

However, don’t assume the higher the alcohol content the better. It has to have moisturizer in it too. A hand sanitizer with 95% alchohol doesn’t have enough moisture to work properly - so says the American Journal of Infection Control. Moisture is needed to boost the sanitizer’s microbe-fighting power - according to the AJIC’s study.

If you can rub your hands dry in 15 seconds, you didn’t use enough sanitizer. You need at least a silver-dollar-size blob - 7 grams - to be effective. So says University of North Carolina study.

Then there are wipes, which show to be more effective than gel sanitizers. An AJIC study showed that wipes kill 50% more germs than gels on average.

Best thing to do - keep both in the work truck.
:slight_smile: