Water Heater / Fireplace FUBAR

Gas water heater in basement vents into chimney. See pic. #1.

In the fireplace above, no damper is provided and flue is 95% sealed with what appeared to be asbestos containing material.

In the fireplace above, vented gas logs are installed and are regularly used per the owner (also my client).

One to two feet below the gas logs, you can see the exhaust flue for the water heater.

Amazing. She had nothing nice to say about her ex-husband when I informed her of these issues (he did all this). She said, “we always got sleepy in this room when we ran the gas logs”. :shock:

060706 069.jpg 060706 086.jpg

Hi to all,

That is probably one of the stupidest and dangerous installs I have ever seen. She was lucky that her drowsiness did not become perminent.

Nice catch Joe

Regards

Gerry

[quote=jfunderburk]
Gas water heater in basement vents into chimney. See pic. #1.

In the fireplace above, no damper is provided and flue is 95% sealed with what appeared to be asbestos containing material.

In the fireplace above, vented gas logs are installed and are regularly used per the owner (also my client).

One to two feet below the gas logs, you can see the exhaust flue for the water heater.

Amazing. She had nothing nice to say about her ex-husband when I informed her of these issues (he did all this). She said, “we always got sleepy in this room when we ran the gas logs”. :shock:
Thanks Joe this is just one of many that make NACHI ,it’s members and our BB so good.
The more I hear,
the more I see!
NACHI is the one for me !
Roy Cooke R.H.I. Royshomeinspection.com
A HAPPY NACHI MEMBER,… More find this out ever day!