Water Heater in Garage Closet

Originally Posted By: Richard Seay
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I am a new inspector in Texas. Inspected a house with a gas water heater located in garage closet. Water heater was 18" above floor and had a combustion vent in closet ceiling. Client was told by gas company that closet door had to be sealed so fumes from garage could not be drawn into water heater closet. There was about an inch gap under door. Is this correct?

Richard

Originally Posted By: Jay Moge

well the 18’’ rule is designed to get the w.h. up high enough so the fumes may disipate or run out before that happens. so i don’t think the gap is a huge issue. but then again an aluminium/rubber door sweep only costs about $7 and installs in less than 10 min. providing the intake is sufficiant, and no additional make up air is needed, i’d advise the install of a door sweep and make the gas co. happy. they may know something you don’t. icon_cool.gif

Originally Posted By: mtimpani

HWT is the garages are common here in AZ. No doors at all, wide open.

Thank you, MarkTimpani

www.pridepropertyinspections.com

Originally Posted By: mgault

If the closet door is “sealed” where does the ‘fresh air for combustion’ come from? icon_eek.gif

-Mike

A to Z Home Inspections, LLC

www.atozhomeinspections.net

Originally Posted By: dandersen

Quote:
had a combustion vent in closet ceiling.

Quote:
Client was told by gas company that closet door had to be sealed so fumes from garage could not be drawn into water heater closet.

I think they are talking about combustibles.
Around here, you do as the gas company tells you!
They have this funny looking lock that shows up on the gas meter if you don't. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Originally Posted By: sstevens1

Richard,

The state requirement is the w.h. lower element be a minimum of 18 inches above the garage floor and the w.h. be protected from physical damage. There is no requirement for a sealed door for the state or in the IRC.

Originally Posted By: escanlan

Quote:
Section 305.2 Elevation of Ignition Source [is amended to read as follows:]
Equipment and appliances having an ignition source shall be elevated such that the source of ignition is not less than 18 inches (457 mm) above the floor in hazardous locations and public garages, private garages, repair garages, automotive service stations and parking garages. Such equipment and appliances shall not be installed in Group H occupancies or control areas where open use, handling or dispensing of combustible, flammable or explosive materials occurs. For the purpose of this section, rooms or spaces that are not part of the living space of a dwelling unit and that communicate directly with a private garage shall be considered to be part of the private garage.

Possibly someone there can give us the 2000 IFG Code definition of a "Group H occupancy"?? Is it possible the AHJ Inspector is considering the area one that is a "control area"??

I would go over the local codes at municode.com as it could be of benefit on other issues.

Good luck on the business!!

--
Manny (Emmanuel) Scanlan

Knowledge is power, but sharing knowledge brings peace!

Richard,

One more thought for you. Was the upper combustion air vent for the WH drawing combustion air from the attic? Are there other appliances within the building envelope, in living areas, also drawing combustion air from the attic and without sealed doors? Fumes and CO from the garage can be drawn into the home that way.

--
Manny (Emmanuel) Scanlan

Originally Posted By: mboyett

Manny,

Commercial and industrial facilities are defined into numerous categories depending upon their use. A Group H occupancy is one where certain amounts hazardous chemicals (i.e. hydrofluoric acid, nitric acid, stuff like that) are in use. That category is not applicable to residential applications ( unless you have a meth lab in your back bedroom or something).

Mike Boyett

Capital City Inspections

Austin, Tx

www.capcityinspections.com

Quote:
( unless you have a meth lab in your back bedroom or something).

Mike,

Business is slow, I live way out in the country with 10 acres and a 1200 Sq Ft steel barn with skylights for a hydroponics operation. Of course plant life takes time to grow and harvest so in-between I have to do something to pay the bills!! ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif) ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif) Business better pick up soon because the wife is tired of the chemical smell in the house!

Found the grouping categories in IBC Section 30X, Group H as Section 307.

Have you seen local codes for Wichita Falls? Looks like they are on top of things there. I would be interested to know why AHJ has dictated a sealed room for this case. Possibly my second thought above??

--
Manny (Emmanuel) Scanlan

Originally Posted By: whandley

Don’t seal the bottom of the door unless there is an alternate combustion air vent located within the lower 12" of the enclosure. One ceiling mounted vent alone, is inadequate and can pose a substantial safety hazard. icon_idea.gif

Originally Posted By: Richard Seay

Great responses. It was explained by the gas company like this. With the combustion vent being in the closet ceiling, air would be drawn in under the door, up towards the combustion vent. This could draw gas fumes from the garage to the elevated ignition point of the water heater.

Richard

Originally Posted By: mboyett

escanlan wrote:
Mike Boyett wrote:

Quote:
( unless you have a meth lab in your back bedroom or something).
I live way out in the country with 10 acres and a 1200 Sq Ft steel barn with skylights for a hydroponics operation. Of course plant life takes time to grow and harvest so in-between I have to do something to pay the bills!! ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif) ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)
Don't forget what my 2nd born does for a living. I guess if I ever need a favor I can call it in now, huh?

Quote:
Have you seen local codes for Wichita Falls?
No, I haven't but I'll go look into them.

--
Mike Boyett
Capital City Inspections
Austin, Tx
www.capcityinspections.com

Originally Posted By: rskinner

A little off the WH subject, but if you have a gas furnace/WH indoors with enough intake in the closet(Upper/Lower), than the door should be sealed to prevent CO from entering living area.