Water Heater Pan Question

That is my point a small drip is going to go un noticed for two months 6 months a year perhaps the pan is still going to run over before its noticed people have to step in water before they notice it

And that is exactly why I stress the importance of home maintenance checks to my clients. How difficult would it be to check the WH pan when they replace that HVAC filter every month or two?

Pretty much my thinking.
Going further I recommend a drain pan in high rises under washers even if the building never provided a floor drain.

Most spills are not major blowouts.

As far as the drain pan for the water heater goes we know Charlie is right about a need for the floor drain in the basement however I wonder how many ever go that route.
In some cases that is adding the extra expense of a sump installation I would imagine.

Anyone care to put a price tag on the correction?

EXACTLY my point.

Nice try but you are preaching to the choir ;-):wink:

Wasn’t trying, just a fact. I agree with you concerning drains, but I am realistic enough to know in most cases, they will never be installed. Knowing that does not stop me from recommending pans, and inspecting them monthly (with drains or not) while performing their monthly maintenance walk-arounds.

Problem with preaching to the choir is, they don’t listen anymore than the general public does, usually less. When was the last time you inspected another inspector’s home, if ever?

Just sayin’!

Here in many jurisdictions a floor drain and drain pan under the hot water heater is required ! I’m always surprised when i don’t see a floor drain . :smiley:

Your just wasting your breath and time recommending monthly maintenance walk-arounds nice thought but in reality it does not happen very often.
I inspected another inspectors home about two years ago he had it built and then decided to sell and move to a larger city and his home was not perfect either.

Back to the original question it just makes no sense to me to install a pan under anything that is just going to fill up and run over but to each his own. I think we have beat this poor horse to death don’t you. Just sayin

I see it pretty often especially larger homes with two heaters one in the garage and another stuffed away in a hall closet somewhere no drain pan no floor drain and no combustion air provided and carpet all around???

I am with Jeff on this one in spirit even though drain is required and recommended just because…

Required Pans:
Where water heaters or or hot water storage tanks in locations where leakage of the tanks or connections will cause damage, the tank or water heater shall be installed in a galvanized steel pan having a minimum thickness of 24 gauge or other pans for such use. Listed pans shall comply with CSA LC3