Water Softner Inspections

I agree again.

It is a mechanical system within the house. A complete or comprehensive home inspection, which everyone is advertising, would cover this. As you do not inspect them, unless qualified to do so, it should be mentioned in your report

No more calls please, we have our winner… Give the man a cigar. :smiley:

Over the years I have noticed that water softeners come in two distinct verities; appears to be in service and, does not appear to be in service.

Do you do the same for wells, solar water heating …ect…ect…
Lot of typing when it is already noted in the SOP.

Yup… :roll:

Wow Joe,
You surprised me and actually helped give a professional answer. Thanks for the comment, best so far. :smiley:
Try not to slide back into politics today.

FWIW, I have a limitations that go in the beginning of each section. When i select specific items, like furniture in homes, the comment automatically goes where i want it. No extra typing just a click of the button.

When a water conditioner is present and not on-line or not in use but still in-line for the water supply I recommend that the equipment be isolated to prevent cross contamination by a plumbing contractor or the original service company if known. If the unit is not on-line I recommend to remove.
When owners are available I recommend to verify with existing owner service dates etc. with them.

FWIW: :wink:

WATER SOFTENER- PURIFICATION SYSTEMS: A water softener is a device that reduces the hardness of the water. These systems typically use sodium or potassium ions to replace calcium and magnesium ions, the ions that create “hardness.” An inspection of the equipment is outside the scope of the home inspection, more information about water softener(s) can be seen at this web site: http://inspectapedia.com/plumbing/Water_Softener_Cleaning.php

Here’s one from last month draining into the sink drain line…and another from last week.

Did you comment about the improper drain connection in your report?

I had a beer with my city attorney (friend) and asked him about this.
His specialty is consumer law.
He said “if the client ASSUMES you know something about a water softener, pool, spa ect… then the inspector can absolutely be brought in on a one-two party or vicarious lawsuit.”
If he was an inspector, he would disclaim the softener in the body of the report and rec’ a certified well/softer Co. inspect it.
He also said it is cheaper for your E&O Ins Co to settle in the early stages than fight and pay legal defense fee$.
“An extra 5 minutes of typing could save you in the long run.”
" Due diligence trumps SOP"

Good stuff, thanks. :smiley: