Watering around foundations

Originally Posted By: escanlan
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I have been searching for as many authoritative sources of articles and procedures for the proper process for watering programs of foundations sitting on expansive clay soils. I have some from the Foundation Repair Organization, Post Tension Institute, Army Corp of Engineers and a few foundation repair companies. I would like to provide these references to clients.

Any ideas out there??

Manny (Emmanuel) Scanlan

Originally Posted By: rzimmerman1

In Dallas if you did not water your foundation you were asking for trouble.

Befor I left Texas, I had a client call me out because their slider would not open. It did fine the night befor. I get there and the door is frozen tight. While talking to them I found they conserved water by not watering their yard very offten. But the night befor they had watered the plants by the slider. The watering caused the clay soil to swell and bind the door ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

--
Rob Z.
www.RZinspections.com

valued quote from James Bushart
"An association of members will stick together and be there for each other, whether they are directly affected or not."

Hi Rob,

I'm located outside of Dallas in Blackland country. Been here five years in my home and watered for five years. I have watched grade change dramatically around here due to high shrink/swell cycles (a lot of this area has a high PI for the soil).

There are a lot of people relocated here from areas where the threat of expansive clay was not even considered. I'm sure you have seen the horrors here. Wanted to add some good, authoritative links to the subject on the WEB site. Unfortunately anymore it is hard to even Google search for anything without 100 pages of garbage in the beginning.

Manny

Originally Posted By: R. Michael Gray, P.E.

I tell my clients to start watering in May. The schedule is 3-times a day for 10-minutes each time. Use a soaker hose and an electronic timer to control the schedule. Keep the hose 12 to 18-inches from the perimeter of the slab.

On days where we get some rain you do not have to water. I want them to start in May because in Houston June, July, August, September, October November and December are all dry unless we get tropical storm activity.

Caution them not to overdo it as that can be just as bad.

You may want to download the Buyers Guide to Slab on Ground Foundation at my website at www.houston-slab-foundations.info.

Manny

I love 635 North of DFW. Did you know that road was flat when they first laid it? It was mesquite fields originaly. With all the new construction and people now watering an area that was always dry it is swelling.

Talked to a foundation contractor that told be thya place piers around homes in that area and are actualy raising the homes s the ground swells ![icon_confused.gif](upload://qv5zppiN69qCk2Y6JzaFYhrff8S.gif)

--
Rob Z.
www.RZinspections.com

"An association of members will stick together and be there for each other, whether they are directly affected or not."

Originally Posted By: tallen

Rob:

Is the 635 the MLK highway?

I have not lived there since the late 80's , but it sounds familiar.

--
I have put the past behind me,
where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Quote:
You may want to download the Buyers Guide to Slab on Ground Foundation at my website at www.houston-slab-foundations.info.

Michael,

I apologize for not mentioning in first post but your site is at the top of the list for client reading. Hope you don't object me linking to it from my site. I have learned quite a lot from reading your site material. Went on a foundation reading jag last year and your site was first in line, then FRA, PTI and on and on for a week.

I'm a Yankee transplant (of course 75% of Texas now are transplants). We didn't have to be concerned about expansive soils. Boy did I learn a lot about soils building my home 5 years ago!! Also learned a lot more over the past year or so.

Manny

Quote:
Manny
I love 635 North of DFW. Did you know that road was flat when they first laid it? It was mesquite fields originally. With all the new construction and people now watering an area that was always dry it is swelling.

I can absolutely believe that!! I've seen some strange and amazing things in my time but never had to deal with expansive soils until moving here. That is when I saw some really crazy things.

I live on 10 acres NE of Dallas, near Greenville. Am pretty much in tune with my property, especially since we fine cut it all. I have seen crazy dips and literally hills develop over only 5 years. My derriere can attest to the changes bouncing around on a tractor! ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

There are many stories on local news showing what once were flat roads and streets now looking like choppy waves on a lake.

Manny

tallen wrote:
Rob:

Is the 635 the MLK highway?

I have not lived there since the late 80's , but it sounds familiar.

LBJ

--
Rob Z.
www.RZinspections.com