WAY off topic, but not sure where to post this question...

Originally Posted By: five.five
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I am in the process of looking for a new home, found the general location, builder can meet my needs, found a lot of land last Sunday.

The salesperson there said the price of the lot is $xxx, but there is a price increase going in effect, but she didn’t have the update pricing.

We went in yesterday to the sales office, gave her our earnest money, and she turned around two seconds later, and said “Here is the nre price, with a 2,000 price increase on the house” I said no, the price quoted was the old price, 2 days ago, that was $2,000 cheaper.

After much “negotiating” the price is as stands.

Do I have any legal action.

I am in Texas. ![icon_evil.gif](upload://1gvq2wV2azLs27xp71nuhZOKiSI.gif)

Originally Posted By: jpope

Quote:
Do I have any legal action.

You may, but you'll probably spend more than the $2000 to get any results. I say let it go.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: rpalac

You both have correct statements.

Yes, you can always sue but it might not work in your favor in a long run.

First of all the fact that it is not in writing pretty much negates a verbal contract with out a defined action of time.

I could tell you I'm selling it for 10k today and tomorrow raise the price another 10K due to the fact there is no time restraint.

On the other hand the realtor is bound by law to present any and all offers. It is the option of the seller to accept or reject the offer.

If you are that adamant on the price you didn't have to sign the papers.

If you signed the papers with the new number then in fact you now agree to the new terms.

If you feel unjustly treated or need more definition, the real estate commission in your area would be the proper source for the interpretation. Hopefully the broker will be wise enough to also suggest these same directions.
I guarantee if you get into legal council no one winds up with the money other than the lawyer who is also in business to make a living.

tHE OTHER ITEM THAT COME TO PLAY. wHO IS THE REALTOR REPRESENTING AND HAVE YOU BEEN PROPERLY INFORMED OF THAT ACTION. BUYER OR SELLER AGENT

Bob P.

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

The price today is the price today. That is why most builders say in their literature “price subject to change without notice”.

I think housing prices in the US are going up not down. ![nachi_sarcasm.gif](upload://6HQh6KbNiD73gqTNQInjrR2zeJw.gif) Tomorrow the price may be 2k more than today.

Originally Posted By: five.five

by no means am I “sue happy” I despise those who sue on a whim, but now it seems I either “eat” 2k, and smile, or keep asking why.

I was more interested in trying to talk to the project manager and ask if this was common practice, and should I expect more price gouging in the future.

the "you will be hearing from my lawyer will be last resort.

This location/builder has another customer in line behind me, so I think I will end up in the long run eating the 2k.

I just have a problem when someone tells me the price of something, then raises after you put earnest $ down.

Latest on the deal is my real estate agent is coming with us today, to talk to the sales person.

Figure that would be the best step to take, since they know real estate law better than I do.

Originally Posted By: dbowers

As a past builder, my lot prices are $ xxxxx. They have been for 30 days. Now I’ve decided to change them - by going up or going down. As long as you and I don’t have a written contract yet - I’ve violated nothing.

This creates urgency - get on board or get left behind, you're wasting time.