We propose to do for homes what ENERGY STAR had done for appliances

As you can tell, I think it is a good project for NACHI to be involved in, Ben.

If you guys would do a little homework, you would find that Home Depot sales clerksare allied with RESNET, just like NACHI, to offer the same service.

Personally, I would think that a home inspector wanting to get into the energy business would have higher aspirations. Perhaps some don’t.

Home energy scores are already free, on-line, to anyone who wants one. It’s not really new. We are hoping that the promotion of home energy scores will, however, spark more interest in diagnostic energy audits since the $50 that the home owner may pay someone for a score will take them years to realize in energy cost reductions — without diagnostic testing. In this sense, the combined efforts of the Home Depot employees and NACHI members will do some good to educate the public for the need for a home energy audit.

I’m not knocking this program by any means for anything that helps home owners focus on their energy efficiency needs is good for them and good for business.

I’ve spoken to the person in charge of those RESNET-HomeDepot relationships. Mr. Phillips I recall. Home Depot has run some pilots in 14 Detroit stores, with their home services group certified by RESNET. The pilot was something like this… a customer walking down the ‘insulation’ aisle would be approached by a RESNET-certified HomeDepot person. The HD person would offer a free energy audit on the customer’s home, in an attempt to drive traffic to the store. The pilots are not working. We can all figure out why.

That’s why stakeholders in the energy retrofit industry all know that it starts with educating the homeowner, but they don’t know how to do it better than an InterNACHI inspector. The Feds see home inspectors playing a vital role in this massive laying out a foundation for a sustainable voluntary energy retrofit industry.

Nick and I are hitting EPA and DOE hard that the InterNACHI home inspection at the point of sale is the best place for true homeowner education to take place. And we inspectors do that by performing top-notch home inspections for our clients in a neutral 3rd party way.

The www.homeenergyscore.gov will simply be another tool that an InterNACHI inspector can choose to use in that discussion at the breakfast table, which now includes ‘energy’ as much as it does ‘home condition’ and ‘safety.’

Good luck. I hope you guys can convince the government of the value of your idea. Like I said … the more awareness promotions going on the better it is for the consumer and the energy business.

Very soon, all energy auditors (RESNET, BPI, InterNACHI, etc.) will be defined by this soon-to-be national standard - http://www1.eere.energy.gov/wip/pdfs/51672.pdf

RESNET and BPI are already there, but you knew that.:wink:

It is encouraging to see NACHI aiming for that level of expertise instead of settling for Home Depot energy score rater status. I wish you much success. In the interim, I really do appreciate having NACHI promoting energy efficiency to home owners. It’s a great thing.

Huh?

Buyer pays for the home inspection.:roll:

For $50

That is just sad.

How long do you think it will take to complete one including reporting time?

Are you saying that your home energy rating will be included in the NACHI standard of practice? This is big. How will those inspectors who are not trained as energy score surveyors be able to “significantly comply” with this SOP requirement, or will this training become a requirement for membership?

If it is not a part of the SOP and is only an ancillary service, the code of ethics would not forbid a energy score surveyor from doing weatherization work … just like it presently allows mold inspectors to remediate, radon inspectors to remediate and termite inspectors to remediate. In that sense, there would be no ethical advantage as you referred to in an earlier post.

How will NACHI be addressing this?

This link below does not mention anything about INACHI being qualified or certified to do Home energy rating according to this DOE site…

http://www1.eere.energy.gov/buildings/homeenergyscore/home_energy_assessors.html

Also talk to a RESNET representative this morning, they have never heard of a INACHI partnership for home energy assessors/raters…

So whats the story… I am sure there are members that want to know who they can talk to the DOE or at RESNET to verify your program and DOE and/Or RESNET partnership before investing valuable time and money into this proposed program…

Everyone wants a piece of the action. Certify this; accredit that. Take this class. Take this test. Round we go.

Just like state licensing. What ever happend to home inspections?

Well said Gary.

A member’s quote within the past week from another thread here:

“I have been around for only 6 years but the many wild and wonderful promises we hear about never seem to happen.”

Answered as asked:
No.
Different SOP.
No.
InterNACHI’s strength is based upon its Code of Ethics.
Homeowners love 3rd party neutral professionals.

Home Energy Score is still in pilot mode. Won’t be roll out for another few months. Possibly Jan 2012.
What proposed InterNACHI program are you referring?

I’m all for provided ancillary services but could you please explain how this helps the inspector or increases prices for home inspections?

A start now please do not stop

*[size=7]Michael is a WIMP *
I think you realy do not have any Balls You make a statement then do not back it up .

LIAR

I don’t lie but you do.
[/size]
[RIGHT]

[/RIGHT]

Thanks for adding to the discussion Roy.

Isn’t it time for your nap?

A start now please do not stop

*[size=7]Michael is a WIMP *
I think you realy do not have any Balls You make a statement then do not back it up .

LIAR

I don’t lie but you do.
[/size]
[RIGHT]

[/RIGHT]

Presently, Federal Government is making the promises.

They promise to do for homes what ENERGY STAR has done for appliances. They promise to roll out a national campaign to inspect 130 million U.S. homes. And they promise to start with a house label called the Home Energy Score, and promise to follow up with a National Workforce Standards.

We’re working hard to position ourselves in the market.

http://www.nachi.org/recovery-through-retrofit.htm.