Website Criticism

Originally Posted By: jremas
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Critique my website please, I have made some subtle changes. I am open game for any and all criticism, constructive or not…have fun.

http://www.nepainspector.com

thanks, my skin is thick.... ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

--

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Originally Posted By: gbell

Jeff

Have you seen any benefit from the BBB Online Program?

--
Greg Bell
Bell Inspection Service

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

Get your thick skin on, Jeff.

Phone number and location are to small to be easily readable.

Too much "go fast" text (italics) at the top of the page. Italics should be used to set something apart from the norm. Use color instead (Like you did in the quotes.

Why are some memberships underlined and others aren't. It just confuses me as to why. Make em all the same in a

"Defects, dirt, and clutter often become permanent fixtures to some sellers.": Get rid of the "dirt". It's offensive to some telling them their home is "dirty". Clutter, OK. Dirt, Offensive.

Use Buyers instead of prospects. Sellers don't think in terms of prospects.

"If your home is prepared properly, it will sell itself, almost."

Try "it will almost sell itself."

"Lastly, I recommend using a real estate agents to keep everything straight." Should be "agent" not "agents"

"Information on pre-listing inspections" leaves you hanging at the end.

Get rid of the counter. It's amateurish. (sp)

Nice Picture.

Dump the "buy now" for a "Schedule now".

Times New Roman font doesn't read well on the web. Most popular are Verdana and Arial.

You need to actually "proofread" some of the stuff you've written. Spell check doesn't catch everything. Try reading it out loud to yourself. An example is on the "services.html" page. "A termite inspection if a visual inspection for evidence of active, inactive or past termite invasion, or damage of the home"

Best get some more mold training.

At the top of the page you say:
"Visual Mold Sampling is available upon request."

and then at the bottom, tell them it ain't worth beans.
"If you have obvious mold, the EPA states that testing is not required"

I believe this statement is false: "Air sampling is the only way to determine if you have a mold problem and what type it is." What's your source on this?

Who are you to tell the buyer what's appropriate and what's inappropriate?
" It is inappropriate to demand that a seller address deferred maintenance, conditions already listed on the seller?s disclosure, or nit-picky items." If the seller hasn't been taking care of the furnace, I think it's appropriate to demand they take care of it now.

Whoops, supper time. Good luck

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Originally Posted By: ismetaniuk

This membership was a big waste of my time!

Igor

Top To Bottom Inspections

Glen Spey, NY

Thanks guys, great stuff so far… keep the criticism coming…

Thank you, it all helps and you will see some changes over the next few weeks. Appreciate it.

--

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

some minor changes have been made with some major renovating in the works. thanks for the input.

keep clickin

--

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Originally Posted By: roconnor

Then the company description ? but italicize text seems to get lost. Also, how about "... Backed by over 20 years of experience with home construction, inspection, and maintenance" ... first you build, then you inspect, then you maintain ... electrical is part of that, and inspection should be included. Same thing in qualifications list. Maybe include additional electrical in qualifications if that is a specialty area.

Hit them with the name, description, qualifications/pic first ? the best stuff first as soon as the page loads.

Point out the value of a thorough home inspection, that it?s a wise investment and you could save them a lot of $$$$$ ... it's All About the Benjamins ... lol. Plus you are helping ensure the safety of them and thier family.

Maybe also something that sets your company apart from the competition there too.

Testimonials can follow after you get their attention. Put the name/location on the next line below the testimonial ... and make the testimonial stand out, not the name.

Great pic next to the qualifications. Maybe touch up to take out the eye flash glare ... e.g.
http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/1Jeff.jpg

The text size for "Buying?", "Selling Your Home?", and "Play fair" doesn?t seem to fit the page, and don?t line up vertically.

Under "Buying?" maybe tweak the four categories so the significant things you can pick up jumps out (but should match your report terms) ... e.g.

1. Major Defects. An example would be ...
2. Major Concerns. An example would be ...
3. Safety Hazards. An example would be ...
4. Other things ......

Be careful with the term "legally occupy" since a full code compliance review, CO and UL verification, and legal issues are not part of a home inspection.

People may not know what you mean by "deferred maintenance" ? maybe ?future maintenance?, and instead of "nit-picky items" maybe use "relatively minor or cosmetic things"

Do you also do buyer representative inspections during construction, which has become more common? Seems like your qualifications really fit that with the code experience/training.

The "Play fair" heading, and some of the first few sentences in that section seems condescending towards sellers.

The first page seemed a bit long. Maybe consider separate links/pages for buyers and sellers with info for each there. Also might avoid giving the appearance of playing for both sides too.

I am on the fence with the cartoons.

Maybe more buyer and safety related links, and links to home maintenance ... you are on their side too.

And put the NACHI logo up high on the left to display that more clearly right off the bat along with your qualifications ? that will make Nick happy ? lol.

Nice website overall ... good luck with it.

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Wow, Bob ‘O’,…Thanks! Lots of great feedback there. Yes it does need some revisions and your input will be seen in the future. I agree.

As far as some of the language in the beginning and the title,...it is something that I need to do for search engine positioning. I don't need the title to show my name when it is already part of the webpage. I may not like it either but it works.

thanks again

--

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Originally Posted By: roconnor

Jeff … NP

I usually pass on website reviews, but your post seemed to be a place to also offer some general comments too.

There are ways to hide the search engine text ... I usually see it as small text the same color as the background ... usually at the bottom of pages.

In return for peoples comments, maybe you could post before and after screenshots of the front page so others can see the differences and learn too ... ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Jeff:

You have a link in your Links Section called HouSensible. I remember we did some deal with this site but I can't remember what. Do you know who owns/operates it? Is it you?

http://www.housensible.com/housensible/inspectorindex/index.htm

Nick

I think it is Larry from Texas of “Larry Inspects” who owns & operates it. Hope that helps.

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Is he a NACHI member?

Nick