Well Disinfecting

I was asked today if I perform well shocks/disinfections, do any of you offer that service? Is it against the not performing work within 12 months of performing the inspection?

I don’t do it. It is beyond the scope of a home inspection.

1 Like

In my opinion, YES!

Refer them to a well driller, water quality lab or others that do that.

1 Like

Larry and I interpret the Code of Ethics a bit differently. Well inspection is outside the scope of a home inspection, not covered in the standards of practice. Therefore, in my opinion does not apply to the 12 month rule. However, the safe bet is to avoid repairing things you inspect in order to maintain complete objectivity and avoid any conflict of interest. Your customers will respect this.

2 Likes

If it was your inspection that found contamination in the well, then you have some conflict-of-interest risk. However, if the well contamination was discovered separate from your inspection, then there is plenty of information about shocking wells and if you need the work, then sure. I’ve never offered that service, mostly because I am usually the one finding the well problem.

The key ethical line is the conflict of interest.

If the OP is recommending the shock treatment, that’s a conflict.
If the owner said “hey can you inspect and also shock my well”, that’s a lesser ethical concern.

I do play with this boundary myself. In non-sale conditions, I will offer a package that includes repairs, mostly on the commercial apartment side. It’s just super efficient to fix certain things on the spot. But context and client matter: it has to be approached carefully and openly. As an example I have a pile of smoke detectors, range hood grease filters, and furnace air filters with me at all times ready should the need arrise.

1 Like

Its really less about ethics and more about your licenses and qualifications.

Check you state laws, I bet you are not qualified to shock a well.