Well & Septic Inspections

My inspection company does not provide well & septic inspections and I am curious as to how other inspectors handle advising clients if this is not a service they provide?
My concern would be letting down a client if they assumed the well & septic system were inclusive of a home inspection.

Thanks - Don Taylor

I ask my clients if they are buying a country property and if they have ascertained any info on the septic. If they say no I usually caution them to have it pumped and inspected prior to their purchase.

Occassionally I will walk the septic field if there is a concern as expressed by the client or odour, or age related concern. But I also point out because the system is buried that problems could go undetected for some time before they become apparent. I think most mortgage companies will require info on the septic system as part of their qualifying info.

My goal is to be a one-stop-shop. If they want a septic inspection, I make the arrangements for a sub-contractor to meet me there at the time of the inspection. Same thing for the well. Termite too. They pay the sub-contractor directly. Realtors love not having to make all those phone calls!

(Work with the subs to see if they’ll pay a $25 referral fee for each job you throw their way.)

Don’t have it pumped before it’s inspected. If it hasn’t been pumped and the effluent level is below the level of the outflow, you’ll know there’s a crack. If you have it pumped, how will you find a crack? You won’t be able to see one.

The septic company I use pumps and inspects at the same time. They CAN’T inspect before they pump (I guess they can’t see throuth sh*t).

They issue a certificate of inspection for an additional $25.00 fee.

Thanks to all for the helpful information. This gives me some direction on how to handle in the future.

Regards - Don Taylor

How can you necessarily see a crack without pressure washing the tanks sides?

You cant.
You dont inspect for cracks visually.
The tank is not pumped until after the inspection.
You inspect for cracks by examining the level of the effluent. It should be up to the bottom of the outflow. If it is below the bottom of the outflow, the tank is cracked and effluent is leaking out.:frowning:

Ken, thanks that makes sense.

**In Texas a paid referral is considered dishonest, but there is a form to disclose this activity.
http://www.trec.state.tx.us/pdf/forms/insp/rei-7b-0-inspectorfeedisclosure.pdf

Direct WDI referrals can get a home inspector or inspection company jammed up and fined by the SPCB, here. May be the same with other licensed contractors in other states.

**Best check what the rules are in your state and take a look at the ethical nature of referrals and liability, especially if they are fee based. **