We're developing water/moisture sensors that connect to the internet for members to..

First impression is that it’s not for moi.

Let’s say over time I give out a hundred of these.
If I have this right that’s a whole lot of chances that ill be contacted at 3 in the morning so I can then be informed that Mr. and Mrs. Joe Blows house has some water on the floor. Then I call the Blows and tell them they have water on their floor.

Wouldn’t it be a lot easier if it just called the Blows directly and said, this message was a courtesy of Home inspector and InterNachi?

You can change the call me button to anything you want. Just add the code to another picture/button

Plus the “web pros” will say saying that “click here” is not proper. I personally do not have much faith in what “they” say but my clients do seem to figure it out.

Ditto that.

Another thing to think about is liability, what if a call is missed or for some reason the sensor doesn’t work (Murphy’s Law) - and the client sues for a new 10k basement finish?

IMO I think a way for the sensor system to contact the client directly would be much preferred.

Most basement floods that I hear about are due to sump pump failure, so depending on how many sensors will be placed, inside, near the top of the pit I would think would be a good spot for one.

You can just…

Oh wait, Ian explained it already in post #22.

Also, you can have our Marketing Department make you any graphic you want and then just add the code.

Also, adding text message to our Call Me Now buttons is on our to-do list. We’ll get to it very soon. I bumped it to the top of IT Departments list of stuff to build.

Also, the system already emails you.

Okay, now that brings the total to about $48. Kind of an expensive marketing giveaway. I like my idea about the $1.60 personalized USB car charger better. :wink:

Don’t worry. There is already a gimmick to cover that. Nick will buy the house back.:wink:

Seriously, though … it will not be the client suing you. It will be his insurance company suing you as they recover their losses paid out to the home owner.

Thanks Uncle Nick I knew there was a little love in ya for your black sheep nephew :smiley:

Sensors and alarms don’t cause water problems any more than smoke detectors cause fires. They may alert the property owner to an issue earlier than he/she would otherwise notice it, thus mitigating damages.

Who do you have remotely monitoring it to let you know if it works?

Me. I am.

Exactly… I do not know why a homeowner would rather have someone else monitor this type of system rather than just having an audible alarm and/or having it directly go to their cell phone.

Do most homeowners monitor their security system sensors themselves?

I have a few friends that have their security system go directly to their smart phone. They can see exactly what is going on at any given time.

I have not checked, but how have the stocks of the larger alarm companies such as ADT done over the past few years?

I don’t know. I don’t do stocks.

Would you agree that it might be a good indication of how monitored alarm companies are doing since the smart phone has made things so much easier?

Sounds great. Sign me up!