West Virginia licence.....same day reports?

Ok,I’m not bitchin,but I am reading the law that The Fire Marshall in WV has written that says we have to provide a written report the same day as the inspection.I am an independant Inspector and don’t use those huge binders that have tabs and home improvement tips in them and check boxes.Although I see where they can be useful,I would still like to be able to go home ,do my report using photos laid out properly,and submit the following day(within 24 hrs.).I guess I could just print my inspection check list before I go to the home and fill that out while doing the inspection,and give that to them until I can go print out a professional report.Do any other states require this process?

Not Kentucky.

I’m thinkin maybe an ASHI rep. might have helped write some of this stuff.Who knows

John,

I am not aware of any state that mandates that the report be given the same day, the only one that might is Texas where reporting is very clearly defined, maybe one of our TX members can comment on this.

Regards

Gerry

Yes,it clearly states that reports have to be given in writing the same day.I thought that was odd.

Same day reports are not required in Texas.

Regardless, I think you are misreading the WV rule. It states:

A certified inspector shall submit a written report as to the conditions of the property, on the day of the inspection, to the client within a mutually agreed upon timeframe.

That means the conditions of the property on the day of the inspection. It clearly states you agree upon a timeframe to provide the written report to your client.

Well,maybe so.But I still read it as the same day to deliver a written report.I will call the Fire Marshall and clarify.Thanks

My guarantee is 24 hours but I’m not aware of an actual law.

Well, I just read it again,and it cAN BE read 2 ways if you look for the commas it says to just agree on a time frame with the client on the day of inspection.And the inspection report will describe proprty conditions as they were on the day of inspection.Got it,see how things get all turned around!!!Thanks Micheal

Good…glad you agree. Remember freshman English…just leave the parenthetical expression out of the sentence to better understand it. For instance “*A certified inspector shall submit a written report as to the conditions of the property…to the client within a mutually agreed upon timeframe.” *Nothing ambiguous there.

To read it the other way it would have to say something like “*A certified inspector shall submit a written report, on the day of the inspection, as to the conditions of the property to the client within a mutually agreed upon timeframe.” *But that’s not how it’s written.

As in the words of the King himself "Thankyathankyaverrrrrmuch.

not in VA as well…no requirement for same day reports…mine are within 24 hours via e-mail and the final proof is in the mail with no direct time line…but usually to them within 3-4 days.

The e-mailed PDF of the report and images is what they want and again I always get paid before I send them anything and it has never been a problem.