What a big miss by THE "Deal Killer"!

Jeff, it was Himself.

Client confirmed.

I didn’t want to bust his balls.

He, really, is a good guy. Just writes his reports in the most severe terms.

I agree Marcel. This is not the place(in public) to bash an inspector. He was not responsible for inspecting the outside components. A call to the inspector would have sufficed.

Who’s bashing?
He is a well know inspector and very good at it, Lets face it we all miss something one time or another, and if he was not to do the outside, why the comment on the split face? either you do or you don’t, write what you say and say what you write.

Here are some pics from an inspection where;

1. I could not find any lag bolts.
  2. The 4x4’s are several inches from the floor joists.
  3. The 4x4’s are “resting” on the edges of the concrete footings.
  4. There are no metal “anchors” securing the 4x4’s to the footings.
  5. Some of the 4x4’s are “toe-nailed” to the rim joist without any joist hangers.

These are only a few of the many, many problems at this location. I am appearing as an Expert Witness in the upcoming trial.

The client is suing the builder so the builder had a Professional / licensed engineer conduct “his own inspection.”
The engineer said, “This inspector {Me} does not know what he is talking about and that the deck is well built and perfectly safe.” :roll:

This should be a “slam dunk” case in court!:stuck_out_tongue:

P8230979.jpg

Toe nailed.jpg

No lag bolts.jpg

Why does that ledger board remind me of the Emperor’s new clothes.

So this Engineer… was he a Train Engineer or Sanitation.

ROTFLMAO!

According to his “letterhead” he is a Civil Engineer!:roll:

For a starter, a proper hail (or screw) is required in every hole of joist hangers…

Some good info at link below:

http://www.safestronghome.com/deck/index.asp

Hey Frank, It looks like I will be working on this case with you. My estimate for repairs will most likely be entered in as evidence.

We should talk.

Pete

Do any of you guy’s really ignore a deck during a multi-family unit inspection just because your agreement or SOP allows it?

Good point Bruce, simpson does however have some screws for Joist Hangers that may be able to be swapped… If it were me doing the swapping out, I may be concerned in regards to original screw size and replacement. Simpson may be able to help there too. Mistake like that can be a real pain.