what are all these lines

Some CPVC is not and I am not going any further.
Thanks for the Code though as I think some here might not have it. To bad they can’t copy and use it.

http://www.nachi.org/tpr-valves-discharge-piping.htm

TPR (temperature pressure relief) valves are safety devices installed on water heating appliances such as boilers and domestic water supply heaters. TPRs are designed to automatically release water in the event that pressure or temperature in the water tank exceeds safe levels.

If temperature sensors and safety devices such as TPRs malfunction, water in the system may become superheated (exceed the boiling point). Once the tank ruptures and water is exposed to the atmosphere, it will expand into steam almost instantly and occupy approximately 1,600 times its original volume. This process can propel a heating tank like a rocket through multiple floors, causing personal injury and extensive property damage.

Water-heating appliance explosions are rare due to the fact that they require a simultaneous combination of unusual conditions and failure of redundant safety components. These conditions only result from extreme negligence and the use of outdated or malfunctioning equipment.

The TPR valve will activate if either water temperature (measured in degrees Fahrenheit) or pressure (measured in pounds per square inch [PSI]) exceed safe levels. The valve should be connected to a discharge pipe (also called a drain line) that runs down the length of the water heater tank. This pipe is responsible for routing hot water released from the TPR to a proper discharge location.

It is critical that discharge pipes meet the following requirements, which can be found in InterNACHI’s Water Heater Discharge Piping mini-course, at www.nachi.org/education](http://www.nachi.org/education.htm). A discharge pipe should: be constructed of an approved material, such as CPVC,

From TPR Valves and Discharge Piping - InterNACHI](http://www.nachi.org/tpr-valves-discharge-piping.htm#ixzz2fiq82qIh) http://www.nachi.org/tpr-valves-discharge-piping.htm#ixzz2fiq82qIh

To the best of my knowledge (I do not claim to know everything) all CPVC is identical and that is why it is designated as CPVC.

Having said that, I would certainly appreciate the source of the variations of CPVC and I believe most inspectors would appreciate the additional knowledge also.

If convenient, possibly the link to the appropriate site would be in order?

For the most part, you are correct - all CPVC piping shares the same physical properties and are generally designated as schedule 40 or schedule 80.

There are specialty varieties available for different applications, some of which can be viewed here.

As usual, Wood cannot (or will not) provide accurate information.

I already did!
There are some that can’t be used for TPR due to lack of info or info that will not match what is needed. 210F and 150 psi is what the Temperature Pressure Release valve is rated at.
InterNachi and others say it is OK to use pressure rating of 100 psi and 180F (CPVC)
I do not make a big deal but I also do not compromise and tell my clients what should be there.
Before you ask, the ? the answer is, Yes I check to see what the pressure and temperature rating is on each discharge.

I’m sorry Kevin, I must have missed it.

Please direct me to the post where you supplied the relevant information.

Your Wikipedia link does not support your claim.

My claim is simple and can be supported. You can’t get some CPVC or even new CPVC that achieves the de-regulated rating of the pressure and temperature of the discharge.

Then do it.

Mumbo jumbo IMHO

So we are supposed to take your word for it with nothing else?

Maybe you are right.

Let’s find out.

You can do it yourself by checking references.
For one CPVC starts out at 180F on the discharge and some are only rated for 80-100 PSI. This is well below the requirement for a TPR discharge but we can’t be de-rating any lines.
Fittings also become an issue. Where do you stop?
Well according to what I can see with 180F CPVC they have made a compromise for the minimum allowed.

I am willing to allow you to teach me something here Kevin, but I won’t just take your word for it.

Copy and paste the relevant information to support your position.

You can teach yourself and anyone can by going to the site on CPVC. It is not rocket science.
As the water gets hotter the pressure rating goes down. Add all the fittings and you have full fledged melt down or failure.
Check and see the markings on the CPVC discharge to make sure they are reasonable, if they are not there call it out.
This just boil’s down to being cautious when examining the discharge pipe for markings.
Not all CPVC is equal.and PVC is even worse.

If you know the web site then why do you not post it so all can see what you are talking about .
Why must you be so evasive on supplying information ???
We went through this with you on FP breakers/Panels and you never did supply any facts .

I will continue to provide information according to comments. At this point if you can’t understand what I just said in the post do research and find out what happens to CPVC after you apply 210F water at 150 PSI, don’t forget to add the elbow?
I don’t sit in the office all day and most times I am on my Samsung Notebook.

Kevin, please explain how the 100 or 150 psi is achieved in a free flowing, non-reduced pipe that is open to the atmosphere.

Answer my ?

One step at a time. I will answer your question but first I need to know how the pressure even exists in a pipe that is free flowing, non-reduced and open to the atmosphere. All the facts are needed prior to making an education statement.

It is not if, it is when the pressure is at 150 PSI and 210 F.
I bet not one newbie will forget this next time they look at the discharge pipe.

This information at this link only describes one “type” of CPVC. Am I missing something?

So once again, please explain how, on the drain side of the TPR valve, this pressure can exist in any non-reduced, free flowing pipe, open to the atmosphere.