WHAT ARE WE CHARGING

Originally Posted By: rray
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I’m at $349 for 2,000-2,499. When I get above 3,500 SF, I charge $100 per 500 SF, so it looks like I’m higher than the national average.

Home inspections. . . .

One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Robert,

A whole bunch of the licnese plates down here are NY this time of year. Don't you think we could at least make them feel at home and charge them NY prices icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Russel: You charge what I used to charge when I owned Peach Inspections. I sold it a couple years ago but I see their prices at http://www.peachinspections.com/services.html are roughly the same: $349.

Nick

Originally Posted By: roconnor

Well, lets see … for the San Diego area the labor adjustment would be +28% … that gives ya $352 plus $90 per 1,000 SF over 2,500 SF for a basic inspection … not too far off … icon_wink.gif

Robert O’Connor, PE

Eagle Engineering ?

Eagle Eye Inspections ?

NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: jpeck

I charge $350 minimum for the first 3 hours, then $100 per hour.

My inspections average (smaller homes) $600-800, (medium size homes) $750-1,250, (large homes) $1,000-2,500+.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

I’m kind of surprised that Jerry only charges $100 per hour. I take into account travel time and have thusly arranged my prices to be $100 per hour. I try to have all my inspectors do three inspections a day during the winter months and up to five inspections for my best inspectors (such as me) a day during the height of the summer months. I can even get in six inspections if they are condos; it’s just a matter of budgeting one’s time appropriately and knowing how long it takes to drive from place to place.

So three inspections at $350 or five inspections at $350 puts me right in line with Jerry's prices. So what's the difference? Jerry's a consultant masquerading as a home inspector since there probably is not another category that fits him (isn't it fun being different, Jerry? icon_biggrin.gif ).

Jerry said somewhere that sometimes his inspections take two or three days. Realtors and Clients in my market would never tolerate an inspection taking more than one day. Most of the Realtors who are coming to me are coming because they have heard about my team approach and my reports. My goal is to never have an inspection take longer than three hours. That's about the limit that Realtors and Clients will tolerate. Anything after that, and they really start getting antsy.

The nice thing is that if I personally do five inspections, I have the potential of 20 people seeing my report and hearing about the quality of my services, not to mention that simply being around my inspectors is fun in and of itself. So if we assume that Jerry has a two-day inspection, seen by four people, during the same time I could do a minimum of six inspections, seen by 24 people. Which is most likely to get business more rapidly?

Of course, I think we'd all eventually like to be in Jerry's shoes doing two inspections a week and making $2,000. Well, here in San Diego $104,000 wouldn't provide me with a quality living, so I'd still have to work some more!

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: rbracklow

Hey Jerry,

Will you adopt me?? icon_smile.gif

Merry Christmas

Ron.

Ron, do you really think you could live with a Floridian? icon_lol.gif

Home inspections. . . .

One home at a time.

You know Russel,

You pose a good question!!

I don't know if I'd want to do inspections in Florida - if the Skeeters don't get ya, then the Gators will!! icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif

Ron

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Ron,

Don't forget about those thick two inch cockroaches!

Florida would be nice, but changing lifestyles is definitely a must.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Whoa!!

You guys talked me out of it, he can keep his money!!

Hey, are those cockroaches good to eat?? Perhaps we could bake and shake!! icon_smile.gif

Ron.

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Come’on guys.

I tell all newcomers that the bugs were here first, and they will be here after we are gone.

Then I ask "Why do you think they call it pest CONTROL instead of pest elimination?" Then I add "At best, we can try to keep them outside. That will have to do."

2" cockroaches? That's the babies, wait until they grow up! icon_smile.gif Hey! Why is my sofa moving outside on its own?

When it gets cold down here (way down here, where I am) the bugs come in from the cold (they don't like it either) We've just been invaded by ants, because of the last couple of nights getting so cold. Hey! Quit snickering, 48 IS COLD. icon_lol.gif

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

This is getting to be ridiculous - 2" plus roaches indeed!! icon_smile.gif I understand that they taste good chocolate covered??

You know what Guys & Ladies of course, we ALL need to get back to work. I'm even driving myself, my critters, wife, friends, etc. crazy!! icon_smile.gif

Bah Humbug! icon_smile.gif

Ron.

For my first job out of Texas A&M in 1977, I moved to Houston and got a real neat apartment literally on top of Buffalo Bayou. One day while I was brushing my teeth, this huge roach crawled out of the sink and stared at me, like, “Hey, why you spittin’ toothpaste in my house?” I killed it with some roach spray. It took a couple of minutes to recover, but I went back to brushing my teeth. Sure enough, the Mrs. came out to see what happened to hubby. I killed the Mrs., too. Both of them were the big German cockroaches and were up in the three inch range. I used to cook hamburgers and put the grease in a can and let it sit out overnight. My personal record was 31 dead cockroaches in one can the next morning. I only stayed in that apartment for three months.

In ten years in San Diego, I have yet to see a live cockroach or mosquitoes, although I know both of them exist here. What I really don't miss is the millions of bugs around the street lights (or any light) at night.

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.