What are your thoughts on this?

Originally Posted By: jonofrey
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

These pictures were sent to me by a client. I haven’t seen the real thing yet. I’ve already have an idea in my mind what’s going on here but I would like to hear from the members what they think. Any takers?

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/Garage1.JPG
http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/Garage1Closer.JPG
http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/Garage3.JPG

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi John, Ok I’m game. From what I can see of the photos I would be suspecting wash-out of the footing underneath that wall. it looks like the wall framing is racked or is trying to, due to the foundation cracking on the load center of the door framing. This area is always going to be the weakest due to the door apature being let into the foundation.

I strongly suspect that the footing underneath that walk out was not poured thick enough to handle the increased loads from the openning.

Let us know what happens

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

From my perspective, it doesn’t look like wash out damage.

More like damage to the concrete wall from the impact of driving nails thru the sill plate into the concrete.

Look closely at the last picture where the concrete is chipped and you can see the nail heads in the sill plate.

Go back to the second picture, you can see the nail head and the nail under the sill plate where the concrete chipped out.

I'd bet that the break off on the end of the concrete also came as a nail was driven into that area. Being close to the end, it just broke off when the nail was driven into it. Of course the angle of the picture, and the framing on top of the sill plate, may not let you readily see the nail. However, if the camera had been further to the left, so we could see into the crack, we'd probably see a nail there too.

Wonder why the builder didn't embed threaded rod into the concrete as is usually done.

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

What’s weird is that there seems to be anchors for the plate. I think the strapping that folds around the plate on the sheathing side is actually an embedded anchor. Why did they shoot nails into the plate if that’s the case?

The crumbling corner looks like a repair to me. I think the color of the concrete looks slightly different. Newer where it's crumbling. I think the corner broke off, for whatever reason and they tried to repair it with concrete without any reinforcement.

Gerry, sorry for messing with your head.

Originally Posted By: mbailey

John,

I find it odd that that your avatar looks so very familiar, but yet?? perhaps if Nick Gromicko and Gerry Beaumont were transporting down from the Enterprise and got sucked into the Twilight Zone?something like that?maybe?perhaps

--
Mark Bailey
Stonegate Property Inspections LLC
Ponca, NE

Mark,

I think the avatar is the prototype for the future of NACHI. A very diplomatic entity that still has the ability to grab you by the nads.

John

Originally Posted By: mbailey

That is too damn funny!

Someone with plenty of NACHIsmo as well I would imagine.

--
Mark Bailey
Stonegate Property Inspections LLC
Ponca, NE

Mark,

That's a good one!

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

I agree with Erby’s assessment. Look at the chunks missing adjacent to the nail placements. The end piece looks like it was formed after the fact, and never adhered (how could it?)

BTW... nice Avatar

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Hmmm…what do I think!

Ok, it looks like broken concrete to me!

How did I do? ![icon_cool.gif](upload://oPnLkqdJc33Dyf2uA3TQwRkfhwd.gif)

Joe Myers

Joseph,

You're an @ss and a hero.

John

Originally Posted By: csewell

Actually I think Joe was on to something. The concrete by the door opening looked suspect as far as being quality stuff – where are the rocks portruding from the surfaces in the break. Maybe the concrete guys used poor quality (high moisture content) mix and there was improper aggregate mix in some places; especially the door area, which could cause the problem seen due to poor strength. Plus the break surfaces at the door area seemed to rounded vs clean crack surfaces like you expect to see in good concrete. I’m no expert, but that was my first thought!

Charles Sewell

Originally Posted By: jmyers

John,

You see what happens when you ask for the obvious. I like to think of it as a simple assessment for a simple mind, in keeping with the a$$ and the hero mentality. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: mjones1

Have you seen some of the stupid kids they let use the nail guns?

![eusa_wall.gif](upload://hILV5Z8gRVLwzVpRIDJEm01uB52.gif)

Mike