What can drain into a sump?

Originally Posted By: msylvester
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Came across a home the other day with a shower, washer,and utility sink that all drained into the sump pit. The home had a well and septic system.

Any Thoughts?

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

Storm water sump or sealed sanitary sump?

Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Storm, open pit with no lid and had a battery back up. The home was a 1920’s Cape Cod.

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

Shower, Laundry Washer and Utility tubs are Greywater.

Sources should not be drained to an open sump and should be routed to a sealed sanitary connection.

--
Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

My question I guess is can a sump drain into a septic system. In city limits you cannot have a sump connected into your waste. But this is unincorporated. And if the lid is sealed and the pump terminates into sealed waste connection can you still have a shower and the washer and utility sink drain into the pit.

Originally Posted By: Jay Moge

it’s surely not correct, but i don’t know what “law” they are breakin. greywater is not toxic (normaly), were is the discharge. i wonder what the soap, detergent, and bleech has done to the lawn or what not. icon_cool.gif

Originally Posted By: ckratzer

Mark,

This sounds like it’s being used as a lift station.Lift stations are commonly used if the elevation of the latteral field and septic tank are higher than the elevation of the waste water outlet.

Are you saying the sump pit is sealed from any water intrusion other than household drains? If this is what you are saying I bet the above mentioned is what the pump is doing.

Just a guess without actually seeing the system.

Cheremie

Here is how I explained it to my clients. One at the time of the inspection I had no idea of what kind of septic system we were dealing with. Two by having the sump pump drain into the septic system you are adding all the water run off into your system. I recommended that the sump be terminated outside the home and not into the waste. And that they add an additional ejector pit for the shower and the washer/laundry tub that can be terminated into the waste system.

Make any sense?

Originally Posted By: ckratzer

Good job!

Makes excellent sense. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)