What caused this?

Your thoughts on what caused the grounding wire to arc to the service entry conduit? :slight_smile:

Pingel 073 (Small).jpg

I would not even hazard a guess ,there are many things that could cause this .
I would just immediately refer this to a Qualified electrician to be repaired or replaced .

Roy Cooke … Royshomeinspection.com
</IMG>

Oh…don’t worry about that…there were so many things wrong with the electrical components of this home, it will need a complete and total overhaul by a licensed electrician.
Just looking for ideas on what caused this for my memory files.

Really did not like inspecting the roof and exterior with this so close to me.

Pingel 074 (Small).jpg

Pingel 074 (Small).jpg

Pingel 027 (Small).jpg

AHHH…yeah I agree with ROY on this one…I can venture to think of off the top of my head…3-4 things…but in the end…you did the RIGHT think and have it evaluated.

That’s a guard to prevent falls from the roof…sheeeesh! Kevin. :stuck_out_tongue:

Nice to see you around again. :smiley: Hope all is well.

Should never had happened if the components were properly bonded. . .

With examining the picture only, I might speculate as to what may have caused that arc. That raceway is painted to match the block, but the grounding electrode conductor appears to be free of paint. This causes me to believe that it was added at some point after the panel was installed. That is an older panel, judging by the QO1 style main breaker. If that GEC was inserted in the bottom of the panel carelessly, it may well have contacted the lug on the right hand side of the breaker, and arced momentarily to the grounded service raceway. Just a guess without personal examination, but it’s the first thing that pops into my head. Lots of other violations in that panel anyhow.