What causes this and how would you write about it in your report?

I’m talking about the dirtiness around the vents

Dirty moist air condensing on and sticking to cooler vent.

4 Likes

Recommend it be cleaned !
Now! Was that so hard?

2 Likes

I think my question was more what causes the dirty hot air? Is there likely an issue with the AC or ductwork?

Change the damned filter every month or two, and clean the ducts every one to three years!!

6 Likes

Read Larry’s response again. He gave you the answer. You did not understand. Think about what causes condensation.

2 Likes

Also Roy was right. Whatever the cause, recommend it be cleaned.

But as a building inspector, you should understand the physics. So think about what Larry said, too.

2 Likes

I can be pretty dense sometimes… Still not able to understand the underlying cause in Larry’s response. Please excuse me, I’m brand new :upside_down_face:

1 Like

This usually occurs due to filthy filter and/or evaporator coils.
If the air handler was accessible, pull the filter & check out & the coils. :cowboy_hat_face:
Here’s one that was so nasty it was like covered with snot.

ac5

2 Likes

Would it also happen with a cracked heat exchanger?

1 Like

This is not the end all. But it is a start:

" [9/6/2019]

Condensation or sweating is a common problem with air conditioner ducts. Long term condensation leads to various issues with your AC system. Condensation can frequently be seen as water drops and/or dirt collecting on the outside of AC ducts and vent openings. It can also form small water pools on the floor in severe cases.

What Causes Condensation in HVAC Ducts?

Main causes for condensation occurring in your AC ducts include the temperature difference between the outside air and AC vent, improperly sealed AC ducts, and lack of insulation around these ducts.

However, ductwork sweating can also be aggravated by factors like:

• Too much air moisture
  • Dirty air filters
  • Clogged ducts"

also

and

2 Likes

Observation. Dirt and Sooty staining on vent and surrounding wall.
*Note what the vent is connect to.
Dirt & Sooty staining are a direct correlation of forced air borne particulates in the atmosphere attaching to object/material or surface. Most particulates contribute an adhesion property to surfaces which they encounter for (2) reasons. The first reason is those particles are sticky! Example, particulates from cooking. The second reason is particulates carrying an electrical charge. The act of, or process for, a particulate attraction to surfaces then sticking is called “plating out.”
Recommend a licensed venting cleaning contractor clean ducts and vents.
There is more I can ad but that should suffice.

2 Likes

As usual you are waaaay off base. Stop it.

2 Likes

I don’t know. Most all AC systems down here are central air that have a 5-10 KW heat strip to heat the air.
A cracked heat exchanger can release bad stuff to kill you like CO.
Maybe Bert or Larry know. :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Joe, I have not seen that in a house that I knew had a cracked heat exchanger. I kinda think that the carbon monoxide would kill you way before you saw dirt like that on the registers.

5 Likes

Makes sense to me :+1:

1 Like

If you need to understand condensation and water movement more i would recommend the “moisture intrusion courses” if you didn’t already. I think there was also an advanced course

1 Like

Seen that in homes with oil heat, as well
Cheers

5 Likes

Same here. :grinning:

1 Like

Ever seen a home with kerosene heat? Oy Vey!!

1 Like