What causes this?

Originally Posted By: hgordon
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

This is a closeup of the wires into a service main disconnect…what causes this?

The breaker is 150amp
The panel is rated for 150amp

![](upload://5Nm0ta5rxjhP42rxBVcVrLEzZ2o.jpeg)

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

Possiblly one of the following

1) the load is severly unbalanced between the two legs and that the greater load is on the bottom leg resulting in warmer temp thus not coroding like the othe other leg.

2) There is water entering the cable at the other end (meter box) and coming down by gravity/capillary action

3) Lower leg only replaced (maybe mechanically damaged ot what have you)

without knowing more my money is on #2

--

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !

Originally Posted By: rmoore

If this were a poll I’d go with Paul’s number 2 too. Especially as the lower half seems to be affected more than the top.

Richard Moore

Rest Assured Inspection Services

Seattle, WA

www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

Loose connection?

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Not knowing anything other than seeing the photo, I’d be inclined to go with “loose connection”, as Greg said.

Heating up, but not yet to the point of overheating the insulation.

If you look closely, it almost looks like the ends of the insulation on both conductors is slightly darker than further back from the terminals.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: dbozek

Agree with Jerry…OMG thats 3 times now icon_lol.gif

Loose connection is more than likely the cause.

--
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they should and could do for themselves. Abraham Lincoln

It does appear the the insulation on the top conductor has gotten warmer…noted by the dull color of it.

You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they should and could do for themselves. Abraham Lincoln

Dennis…

Genuine request for education:

If the oxidization was being caused by heat from a loose connection wouldn't the top few strands be disclolored also? Or at least as much?

There is what appears to be a single spot of oxide on the lower conductor (a drip?) and then there is what looks like discoloration in the space between and behind the SECs. What's going on there?

--
Richard Moore
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

The heat starts at the point of worst connection and I bet that was right under the screw. The parts jammed into the lug will tend to stay put but if the screw loosens a little that will be the weak spot. Look at the bad conductors again.

OK…you’ve got me half convinced on the loose connection theory. How about… “Discoloration of one SEC indicative of a loose connection, moisture intrusion, or possibly other problems. Recommend investigation and repair by a licensed Sparky”. Should cover it! icon_biggrin.gif

Richard Moore

Seattle, WA

www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: jtedesco

Thermoplastic insulation, where used on dc circuits in wet locations, may result in ______________ between conductor and insulation.

This is also known as "green goo ooze"

Although directed towards DC, the dictionary seems to support this condition too.

![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: roconnor

Just throwing this out there, but that kinda looks like corrosion … possibly older dissimilar metals with missing/insufficient anti-oxidant compound on the top wire?

Robert O’Connor, PE

Eagle Engineering ?

Eagle Eye Inspections ?

NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: jtedesco

electroendosmosis

Thermoplastic insulation may stiffen at temperatures lower than minus 10?C (plus 14?F).

Thermoplastic insulation may also be deformed at normal temperatures where subjected to pressure, such as at points of support.

Thermoplastic insulation, where used on dc circuits in wet locations, may result in electroendosmosis between conductor and insulation.

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Let me toss this into the mix. Back last year, after finding the thick granular corrosion on a burnt conductor (pictured below), I did a little research. Turns out there are three different types of copper oxide and what you get depends a lot on how hot the copper gets. Below 150C, Cu2O forms. This is the “protective” patina on the Statue of Liberty and is the result of lower heats and/or moisture. Above 200C CuO can form. This is “significant” corrosion rather than a patina, and probably what is in my photo. Between 150 and 200C? There’s a third complex oxide I don’t have the letters for.

![](upload://lqC909lQm4otViLWYZBSCiwntZM.jpeg)

--
Richard Moore
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

Richard,

Is there a visual way to distinguish between the three types (ie colour, etc)?

--

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !

It is still a “hot” connection, likely a loose connection.