What did you find here Brian?

Originally Posted By: jtedesco
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Photos by: Brian A. Goodman

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: Joey D’Adamo

well there’s a reason they say not to double tap stuff… especially aluminum…

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

This is one ugly panel. Where is the service disconnect?

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Greg Fretwell wrote:
This is one ugly panel. Where is the service disconnect?

Split bus panel.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: Brian A. Goodman

Jerry’s right, stinkin’ ole split bus panel. The double-lugging was done to feed a subpanel in a shop out back, even though there was still enough room at the bottom for one more double pole breaker.

This was a deal killer. The buyers were an older couple, and he was an electrical scaredy cat. I showed him a picture of it, but he asked me to remove the cover. I normally wouldn't, but I did with a long caution. He stared at it for 5 minutes and walked out. She paid me.

I got a call from the seller a few days later, mad as hell. I blew her deal, she was gonna sue me, I was all wrong. She said a licensed electrician did that wiring and an electrical engineer her husband knew had looked at it and okayed it. I told her it was illegal to double-tap, they had been very hot, and it was a fire hazard. I also offered to testify for free if she wanted to sue them. Never heard from her again.

The subpanel was all wrong too, of course. They had EMT buried in the ground going out there. I don't believe EMT is direct burial stuff ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif). Plus it created a continuous metal path and the licensed sparky wired it like a service panel. Then there's the whole Zinzco thing.

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

I guess I have been pretty lucky. I never see some of these strange panels you guys deal with. The state pretty much standardized Square D QO in their projects. It made stocking parts a lot easier.