What do I put in my report if there are no defects with the property?

That’s all the easy stuff. I wanna see the pics that many likely don’t even pay attention to!!

Such as…

P1160647

P1160648

6 Likes

Oh man, that’s a goodie. Lives saved!

2 Likes

Agreed!
To the OP: post some photos here, or a link to an online gallery.
We can house of horror that for you and good chance find some issues.

4 Likes

have to ask, how old is this “perfect” home?

Do you not have a State Inspection Standard?
Most require you describe, operate, report things. Follow the standard.

Many don’t. Not all States have such things.

1 Like

There ya go.

1 Like

ahh, missed that. Was looking at the first post, and didnt see anyone else ask…

You should do the same as the rest of us when we find no defects.
Happily present the report to your client. Then go home and have a nice dinner - enjoy time with your family - go to bed and get some sleep. THEN wakeup screaming in the middle of the night, in a cold sweat, because you know that you just had to have missed something! And start waiting for the client’s call to inform you that the chimney flashing is leaking, the furnace blew-up, 5 windows are fogged, there’s hot water coming out of the cold water valves, and you didn’t report the polybutylene pipes. :flushed:

4 Likes

If that’s the case he still has the InterNACHI SOP to follow, which is similar to most all States.

2 Likes

Talk up how good a Realtor they chose? :mask:

Doesn’t matter if you finish the report on site or finish it at home if you didn’t see anything you didn’t see anything. At least if your are finishing the report on site if something occurs to you while you’re doing it it’s really easy to walk over and check it.

1 Like

Yes, it does.
If you are staring at your Phone, Tablet, PDA, etc. you are not focused on the home, and the probability of missing something is heightened.

1 Like

Not in all cases. It is very possible enter data into your phone and be attentive to the home at the same time. It does take longer though, and takes some “training” of both the clients and their agents on expectations of the inspection time-frame.

1 Like

And we generally schedule enough time to actually compile the report after the inspection.

Tiny condo… that’s a defect

2 Likes

Back about 2008-2009 I did the Mobile thing with a Palm Pilot and Palm Tech software. It was ok, but I was always distracted while using it. I almost switched to another software in 2009 by Knights Software Solutions. (I attended a seminar in Hinckley, MN 150 miles away) that they had a presentation at. It seemed to be an improvement overall, but I just wasn’t convinced it was the right move. Bottom line, I ditched the entire system, sold off the PDA and Software, and went back full bore to Desktop. I sometimes use my laptop on larger Commercial/Industrial jobs, but not as often as one would think.
I have never regretted making that decision, and my clients frequently remind me of why I made that decision! Best move I ever made!

It all comes down to the software provider. It is one of the reasons I pay for a top-notch mobile software. But, with that being said, one has to spend a considerable amount of time getting it set up and functioning in a way that does not encumber the inspection process. I feel like I am about 60% of the way there with my software and template. There are times when I revert to just taking pictures and notes but it is becoming more infrequent as I fine tune things.

Regardless, everyone must do what they are comfortable doing. Nothing wrong with either method as long as the client gets the info they need!

3 Likes

I will typically put maintenance items in the repoert which could be up to 20 items. For example, paint and caulk exterior siding and trim, don’t plant vegetation less than 18 from house, clean HVAC filter, insulate attic hatch, add more insulation, yearly HVAC inspection, replace carbon monoxide detectors fire alarms or test, clean oven vent, install oven anti tip bracket, level II chimney Inspection, etc. If I really want to add something to a perfect house I might suggest rekeying locks, upgrade AFCI, suggest green ideas, etc. .

1 Like

How exactly did you determine this? Did you take it out of the heater?

6 Likes