What do you charge- 2500 sq. ft., 15 yrs old. Please complete this poll, we need info

Great post David!
We can all learn from this post!

Here’s my issue with this…I agree that NACHI should not stop trying. I agree that “Never say die” is a great mantra to live by. I do not agree however that posting ticklers like Nick is prone to do to pique interest and get inspectors hopes up is the proper way of going about things. It is commonly agreed that NACHI tends to get the cart before the horse many times and this is just an example of such. Go do your due diligence, get the information needed, negotiate the deal, then announce it. Many folks, especially new inspectors get their hopes up only to be dashed and that’s what I disagree with.

Each time I exit a crawl I tell myself I need to add extra for this.

…and we should!

Exactly what I’m trying to do. I understand how you feel Mike, but I wouldn’t have asked for this information if I didn’t think it was important. I’m not announcing anything, in fact, I’ve avoided making making any claims, as you saw in my reply to Robert in post #12.

Nope, it’s not. This an effort to do due diligence by gathering information with which to negotiate.
I haven’t announced anything, in fact, I made a point of avoiding that in my reply to Robert in post #12.

Yes, actually it is, but it is also of little importance. I’ll move on.

Kenton:
You’re doing good work, and will probably be attacked for doing so.
I’ve written about inspection fees, which is a contentious subject, and read and heard responses ranging from the sensible to the absurd, many containing words and phrases like “collusion” and “price fixing.” What nonsense. The truth is, I’d work for the price of a loaf of bread to feed my family. Having said that, my clients are not paying me for the time I spend on-site, but for the years it took for me to learn my trade, and in that respect I’m no different from a doctor and even a brain surgeon. Nevertheless, there’s a niche in this industry for everyone: high-flyers and low-ballers, and the “checks and balences” of the free-enterprise system continues to work its magic. God Bless America.

Justin:
We in the same general area. Call me, and we can talk. Better yet, attend CalNACHI’s next workshop.

Thanks Keith. I didn’t take Mike’s comments as an attack. I understand how he feels. He was just expressing some frustration and his opinion. Certainly his right to say what he thinks.

Inspection prices ar market-driven and competitive. They vary by region and are oftensimilar in certain areas just like prices for a lot of other services. Anyone who has ever suggested collusion between home inspectors on a large scale has never read the message boards. Getting that many inspectors to cooperate would be like herding cats!
Home inspectors colliding is a lot more likely than home inspectors colluding!

I have tried several pricing policies. I am with Dr. Swift. Find out the price of the home first. Most of my pricing is based on that sales price. Bigger home, bigger price. Nicer area, nicer return. If a buyer can afford the price of the home, they can afford the price of a comprehensive inspection. Charge extra for age, crawl space, even forclousures. My web site lists these prices. Is that good or bad to list prices on your site? Perhaps that should be asked on another thread.

Kenton:
Just for the record, I wasn’t referring to Mike.
Gary:
Call me Keith.
Thanks.

Gentlemen,
I agree, and I just wanted to add that realtors have a foggy idea of how much work some of us really put in, and expect our prices to be peanuts. This also does not help our crusade to be compensated what we should…

Hi Keith,

Is it common for inspector’s out west to earn $750 for a three bedroom home? If so, I’m moving tomorrow. :cool:

Keith.

I hope it has nothing to do with Nachi and attempting to determine what should be a fee.

In my area I have 3 inspectors that would do the inspection for $145 to $185 and would use a computerized report with digital photos.

I also have an inspection company (licensed PE) that would charge $485 for that house and produce a 6 page combination checklist / typed report with no photos, etc AND would leave out 1/3 the stuff an inspector looks at.

Gentlemen:
As is evident, seemingly simple questions have extremely complicated answers. I think there’s a place for everyone in this market from low-ballers to high-flyers. A month ago in Sacramento thirty-five inspectors spent about four hours discussing ways of “making and keeping money.” And, the truth is, we were in a screaming hurry and needed eight hours. We didn’t part like clones agreeing that we’d do the same thing, but we did part a little wiser and richer.

$425…and would add termite for additional $75.

i have a price of , $375.00 plus $50.00 for crawlspaces.