What do you think about this Electric dryer hook up

I have the same thing at Home Depot. A couple of the people who work the electrical aisle know me and will hunt me down to ask a question. I do try to help as best I can. I seriously wondered if there could be a buck in it somehow. I just know a guy too cheap to hire an electrician is not going to spend much on advice. The liability far out weighs the few bucks to be had.

How about this tenant hook up. His apartment is on a 60 amp service with fuses, has a 220 stove, so, no room for the 220 dryer, no problem! I’ll just wire it to the back of the stove

Beautiful work. Now that’s a bright solution in obtaining power.

The DIYER was thinking:
Aw…heck…Mammy and Pappy…I can alder me anoder one of dhem plugie thingers…

Hey Greg, would the element not heat up and all or provide a low grade heating output off the single 120v leg?

If one side was connected to the neutral it would provide about 1.2kw but both “hot” legs are on the same phase so no current flows through the element. Dryer elements are simply a coil of nichrome wire across the 240. If you buy a heater “assembly” it has all the standoffs, terminals and the can but you can just buy the wire for a few bucks in a plastic bag. That is also a handy source of nichrome wire for experimenters.