What else do members want from InterNACHI? Post your suggestions.

Finally agree on what? Nick still will not do anything the members want.:shock:

Just referring to the fact that Nick finally posted that a recall chek is not needed nor wanted in a home inspection. Also that most realtors don’t want it either. Many of us have been saying that since the widget first got promoted by some vendors.

So its nice to see Nick finally agree with this.
But you are right Jim, Nick will still promote it directly or indirectly.

Jim

I’m going to put that together now. Awesome idea.

Will you have free brownies to eat???:stuck_out_tongue:

Maybe the day of the Christmas party that we have every year. That would be a blast!! Whomever won would have an experience of a lifetime.

So finally after 15 self-serving posts, Chris had the first response to the thread subject!

More parnerships like owens corning. I wish internachi had more deals in place maybe with fha or hud, or other type of inspection services.

Not a bad idea. We only get about one ethics complaint a year though. I’m not sure an entire committee is needed.

Message board moderators to help keep the level of discourse professional :slight_smile:

Sean writes:

Sean, on behalf of your client you have breached your client’s sales agreement by performing a recall check without the seller’s permission. Seller’s look at multiple offers and often accept an offer based on what inspections are being asked to have performed. Often a buyer will waive all inspections to try to enhance his/her offer. Anyway, the seller (the OWNER of the home and the appliances) has to agree to allow your client to perform a home inspection, or a septic inspection, or a mold inspection or whatever. If your client doesn’t have permission within the sales agreement to do those inspections, then you can’t do them. If you are checking for recalls on appliances without the owner of those appliances granting you permission, you have breached your client’s sales agreement. You’re dang right the real estate agent should want to ring your neck for checking things you weren’t hired to check and aren’t mutually agreed upon inside the sales agreement.

Sales agreements have inspection riders for a reason. They are part of a legal contract. That legal contract indirectly gives you permission to come to the house and inspect that which the parties to the agreement have agreed you’ll inspect. If you unilaterally start checking appliances for recalls or sticking your nose into a septic tank or mowing the lawn for that matter… you are way out of line. Then the agents call InterNACHI and biatch at me. Happens all the time. The agents aren’t mad because you found something wrong. The agents are mad because you had no right to perform that service to begin with.

The reason InterNACHI doesn’t release its own Recall Check, isn’t because we are technically unable. We don’t release our own Recall Check because you’ll use it.

I’m not sure how others do recall checks, but it is not included in my home inspection report. The client doesn’t even get the recall report for a couple of weeks. They are instructed to contact the manufacturers of the recalled appliance so they can have the situation remedied by them, not the seller.

Since the report is available immediately, why do you delay it for a couple of weeks? I think I know why.

I wandered how recall worked. I thought about offering recall but I knew I would not agree with the contract that had to be signed.
Also in Missouri, the real estate contracts does not specify what type of inspections will be performed, but maybe in some states. My girlfriend owns her own brokerage, so I know Missouri real estate contracts well.
If anybody needs to know anything about the real estate business in Missouri, I probably can answer it. Just let me know. Opening up a brokerage, I learned a lot.

Each state is different. But the term “home inspection” is now very well defined. InterNACHI has a definition and states/provinces that have their own mandated SOPs have also defined what a “home inspection” is and what it isn’t. So if the seller and buyer (parties to the agreement) have entered into a sales agreement that permits a “home inspection” to take place… that’s all that is permitted to take place. Your permission to perform certain services while at the seller’s home comes from the sales agreement where the seller agreed to permit the buyer to have those specific services performed. While there, you can’t unilaterally decide to also mow the seller’s lawn as you don’t have permission to mow the lawn.

But the Missouri contract does not say “home inspection”, just “inspections”.
How do you think I sell so many auxiliary inspections with my home inspections?

How about “While I’m here conducting your home inspection, hire me to perform a home energy inspection”?

There used to be a few mini videos. There was how to inspect a kitchen and how to inspect lawn irrigation systems. They are gone now.

I like mini videos. We do mini classes every Tuesday morning. I’d like some mini videos to use.

How to inspect for safety glass.
How to inspect the attic.
How to inspect a bathroom
How to inspect a bedroom
How to inspect a window
How to inspect a flight of stairs

I know all the info is in classes, and there are full inspection videos. I think most people learn more from
Short bursts of information.

Troy, you are technically correct. Pools are another one. If the seller looked at three purchase offers, two demanding the pool be inspected and one not. And of these three (otherwise identical) offers he wisely accepted the offer that did not demand a pool inspection… what happens when he comes home early and finds you inspecting the pool? Now aside from the fact that you don’t have permission to inspect the seller’s pool, can you understand why an agent might have a problem with you performing inspections that haven’t been agreed to?

I suspect this is why you delay your Recall Check reports by two weeks. Am I correct?

From my understanding, any and all inspections the buyer wants can be performed if requested. I also have a small concept of real estate transactions, as I too was a licensed Realtor at one time.
If the buyer wants appliances checked for recalls, we will provide that service. What they do with the information is their business after that. Here in this state, the buyer can withdraw if they are not satisfied with anything, including a broken light switch.
I can understand your point, but as an inspector I also have the right to go above the SOP.
Sorry for the thread drift. back to my last question.
If I get to come visit the HQ, will there be space brownies???

It is common for me to sell a $1,000 of auxiliary inspections on the higher priced homes, when I got the buyer on the phone. Usually consists of water, sewer and mold. Termite inspections are with about every home inspection. I prefer to do one big job than just a few home inspections here and there.