What Happened To The CMI Thingy?

Peanuts! :mrgreen:

Funny you should mention commercial inspections. I now know of several inspectors who couldn’t get their home inspection license and so became commercial inspectors in licensed states (which don’t license commercial inspections) and are doing great. Imagine that.

Anyway… asking what more does a CMI do than a mere home inspector and asking why a consumer should pay for a CMI is a lot like asking how does a Mercedes get one from point A to point B any differently than if one bought a Volkswagen. Both will do the job, but if merely getting the job done was the issue… we’d all be driving VWs. Hold yourself out to be a Mercedes… and support your contention that you are the finest by charging the most. Don’t let your pricing conflict with your marketing contentions.

I know in my area, there are still home inspectors who charge
less than $200 per inspection (some at $150)

I charge $100 - $150 more than these guys… and people tell
me that my CMI designation and free warranty help them in
selecting me above the rest.

There are other factors as well, but this helps. I still do the
same amount of inspections as I used to, but I make more
money now. More money for the same work… that’s OK
with me.

The internet has change the way people find inspectors and
I am glad that this trend is still increasing. To be free from
Realtors and to be able to charge more has made my work
a pleasure.

Here is some new stuff on one of Michaels pages…
Looks like he is pushing his new designation along with
CMI at the same time.

http://www.masterinspector.net/frmQualifications.aspx

Master Building Inspector

To become a master inspector network affiliate, inspectors must have completed the following:

1.1000 fee paid full home inspections / 3000 verifiable hours of hands on inspection experience.
2.Be a member in good standing of a recognized Association such as ASHI, NAHI, NACHI, CREIA, FABI and or other approved organization and abide by their respective standards of practice and codes of ethics.
3.Complete 30 Continuing education hours every year.
4.Must have been in inspection business for at least 3 years.
5.Must have passed a psychometrically approved examination such as that of the NHIE or FABI.
6.Must be approved by an appointed peer review committee of seasoned inspection veterans and master inspectors.

Under the Master Inspector Network affiliate program, only experience credits are approved for actual completed home inspections. Educational credit do not account for any part of this designation.

Certified Master Inspector

The Master Inspector Certification Board, Inc. is a non-profit 501©(6), tax-exempt organization dedicated to promoting excellence in the inspection industry. The Board holds the registered Trademark Certified Master Inspector® (CMI), and awards its qualifying inspectors who have demonstrated a high level of competency by:
1.Completing 1,000 fee-paid inspections or hours of inspection-related continuing education (combined) in their lifetime.
2.Abiding by the industry’s toughest Code of Ethics.
3.Substantially following a Board approved Standards of Practice.
4.Submitting to a criminal background check.
5.Applying for Board certification by signing the affidavit in front of a Notary.

The Master Inspector Certification Board, Inc. is not a trade association and the Certified Master Inspector® is not a membership level. Certified Master Inspector® is a professional designation available to all qualifying inspectors who wish to be Board Certified™.

Why is the president of CMI, Michael Rowan, promoting
another designation, MBI, along with the CMI designation?

Does this man have CMI as his primary concern?
Why would this man make a good president of CMI?
Are the current CMI’s being served well by someone who
promotes another designation?

It appears his ideas for CMI were rejected, so he is now
promoting his own designations next to CMI…
and yet retains the office of president over CMI…
something smells here.

His selected Executive Director has not showed up for
anyone to see, yet still promotes other associations on his
web site, while never mentioning CMI at all.

What’s going on?

Perhaps the title is now “honorary” and he is being allowed to retain it for the advancement of his own financial interests through Inspection Depot.

Without any interaction with the board (as requested by them on several occasions) or CMI members, his actual “governance” of the program would appear to be a thing of the past.

Perhaps his title of “president” equates to that of a Kentucky “Colonel”…:roll:

Hi Nick!

I want you to know that I and our New Hampshire State Chapter members were thrilled to have you visit our State Chapter and address inspectors from a three state area.

Your coverage of internet marketing, marketing and the CMI program was terrific!

You are one hell of a dynamic speaker! You blew the room away!

1st Picture:Jan. 24, 2007
Nick Gromicko presenting New Hampshire State Chapter President Frank Carrio with his Certified Master Inspector Certificate

2nd picture:Standing;
Nick Gromicko, Frank Carrio, State Representative Benjamin Baroody
Seated: State Representatives, Gene Charron, Angeline Kopka

CMI.JPG

Nick, Frank & 3-State Reps #2.jpg

I disagree, Nick.

Anyone calling himself a home inspector (“mere” or otherwise) has a duty to the client to be equipt and able to provide a comprehensive, accurate and readable report. If he cannot do that, he cannot (and should not) be in business.

A CMI’s report should not vary … especially if inspecting in accordance with the same SOP. Two good reports on the same house should be barely distinguishable, no matter who does them.

Even the providers of education cannot agree on “advanced education” when it comes to what they would provide a CMI as opposed to any other inspector tasked to inspect in accordance with the same standards.

Logically, there are no apparent options left but to allow the CMI to “specialize” in one (or more) areas. CMI’s specializing in HVAC can be called upon by other inspectors for follow-up evaluations much on the same order that contractors and/or engineers are recommended. Education providers can build advanced courses…going way beyond the SOP…to certify them in these specialties.

But when it comes to performing a basic home inspection, a good report is a good report. Less is unacceptable, no matter who writes it.

Nice Joe, I have never received this message before…

Norton Internet Security has blocked access to this restricted site.

**Site: **http://web.tampabay.rr.com/altsquareone/peanuts.wav
**Blocked categories: **News
If you think this web site is incorrectly categorized, visit the Symantec Internet Security Center to report it.