What is going on here?

David I see your making friends again…

Yea, and I can see your trying to take on more than your azz can carry…

LMAO…Eric this guy is a know it all. Just to prove what kind of guy he is…he is about 50 years old with 45 years construction experience…he counts walking on the construction site in his diapers as “experience” tell me thats not funny!

David today the lottery is like 240 million. What are the winning numbers, you seem to know everything else.

Will you guys please settle this so I can start my report.:slight_smile:

He wins…I lose…sorry Bob…

Damn,it was just getting interesting.
Send Charlie back or I need to turn on 2 1/2 men for report breaks.:frowning:

So using your logic, it doesn’t matter how much air is exiting the home from the a/c system?
In that event, we should all just do away with a/c altogether!
Unfortunately, those in hotter climes may object!

It isn’t that I am not aware of this system, it is that I have never seen it in use. Which was the reason for the post.

Thanks to those that responded in a professional manner.

To “DA”, evidently, reading comprehension isn’t your strong suit. I’ll post this again:

I want illustrations to back up all this chicken pecking.
Only way to prove who is right.

Here is the vent in question:

Baseman 022 (Small).jpg

I am telling you I have seen this EXACT installation for Radon Mitigation system. Its looks like an after market install and not an install when the house was built. Is there a fan anywhere or is it just passive?

The owner stated that it was built with the home, and a requirement. We shall see. It is passive. A direct intake to the home.

To the person who poo-pooed the filter question, see the attached photo, specifically, the circled portion…

filter.jpg

Wow I see you stirred up old Dave

**If the hot air from the outside can get in, what is to prevent the cold air from the home to get out? **

Dave likes to use theory I try just plain old common sense. That statement you made makes absolutely no sense you did not say there was air coming out of the soffit vent you asked what would prevent it.

Air does not move by itself If you would use your head and think about it pretty simple. There has to be a blower to move it or a temp differential to make it move. Hot air rises cold air sinks what you have describe the only opening into the system is the interior return air grills and you are saying that the colder air from within the home is going to rise and travel through the hot duct in the garage to the exterior of the home I don’t think so

What you are saying makes more sense than anything but the gent stated the duct was connected to the return on the central system which would eliminate radon In this State PVC pipe is required for Radon mitigation discharge

Another link for fresh air intakes, this one is for Florida and is dated 2004

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=8&sqi=2&ved=0CE0QFjAH&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fsec.ucf.edu%2Fen%2Fpublications%2Fpdf%2FFSEC-GP-254-04.pdf&rct=j&q=freash%20air%20intake%20require%20florida&ei=zz3fTNv0H4Kdlgfr9anSDQ&usg=AFQjCNE9dE1kcxxrk2-sL_PyiaLv2G95kQ

I can do without the condescending remarks.
I used my head and the question still remains, why was air coming out of the home? I didn’t hear any fan and even if I did, why would you want the air that was cooled coming out of the home?

Bruce,
That study says that he air handler cannot be in the garage, which is where this one is. Not to mention that the intake line isn’t supposed to be installed where it may come in contact with exhaust fumes. There is an ally that runs near the home.
Perhaps I’ll give Dr. Chandra a call.

I saw a small fan box on a return hose that was setup like that where it was pulling in outside air on a new home (energy star).

I did not check to see which way the fan was setup (2 story vent).

Maybe your house had a fan assist somewhere on that duct and was installed backwards. Or maybe someone wanted to discharge air when the system was off and pull in outside air when the system was running. This could be done with simple control voltage.

You don’t want condescending remarks but the information you provided makes no sense defies the laws of nature cool air does not rise. I can tell you this after 40 years of working in that profession I to this very day still see things that mystify me but what separates me from you is I do not leave the job site with questions unanswered I investigate until there is a logical reason for what I am seeing.

There is nothing in that report with the exception of location suggestions for the air handler/furnace and positive pressure VS negative that a good contractor would not perform on a standard install.

I have clients ask me all the time what is the best equipment on the market and my standard answer is they are all alike its not the equipment it is the installer its the duct work that makes a system perform or not perform.

To me being old school the benefits of a green house in the State of Fla introducing high humidity/high temp make up air to create a positive pressure with no damper and or control devices in the make up duct is just another example of a poorly designed system by shooting your green house in the foot.

Back to your question why is there air being discharged from the duct when the unit is off if indeed it is I don’t have a clue but I can tell you this I would know the answer before I left the job site

The head code official called me this morning, yes, on a Sunday. He stated that this installation was a one year only, city specific code. It was changed the following year to be effective for commercial installations only. He also suggested that my Client remove the fresh air intake.

I will speak with him tomorrow to find out the reasoning, but I have a feeling that some of what I posted above would be those reasons.

Mr. Botger,
Just exactly what would you do, as a HOME INSPECTOR, to determine why the air was coming coming out of the home?

I already know the answer as one of the individuals I play golf with every Sunday is an a/c installer and told me why. With all your amassed knowledge, I am sure you can figure it out.

If I was on site I would have resolved the issue I would not have had to post it on this BB

I agree Charlie. Some people have no business doing home inspections.