What is the future of the industry?

Gary, you’ve only been in this business, what, over 20 years? How can you make such a claim??:p:p

And in 20 years is he making more money now or more 20 years ago? I specifically remember him saying he was making MORE money at least 10 years ago.

So how is the declination of income versus the liability, the added equipment and the cost of inflation and making less working out for you?

I don’t know, ask Gary. I could care less what anyone else does, I’m in this for ME.

I find it humorous that it is those who are struggling with their own personal issues that think I should change my business model to suit their dream, by & large it is the same people who believed that licensing was our salvation… Really, it’s to laugh. :roll:

I agree Joe. I never was for licensing, but now that it is here we gotta do the best we can.

10 years. Before that, I spent 35 years in the corporate world.

There are no guarantees. If someone states one, use caution. Read the fine print. There is always some disclaimer, or some rule that you have to abide by.

My business is not near what it was in 2003, or 2004, but better than it has been since 2008. I have not spent one dime on advertising, and I do about 8 inspections a week, about all I want for now. Let’s see, this week I will have 10.

There is no answer to Russell’s question. The future is what you make of it; no one else.

Sorry, Nathan. You are incorrect. No one asked you about your products or services. No one mentioned them. You interjected. You saw a post where someone mentioned if an org would stand behing its product and service.

If you interjected that one of your companies did just that, and asked them to call you or to post an existing link absent of bashing the member or offering a sarcastic reply, it would be different.

Or…if someone asked about RecallCheck, a 90–day warranty, or whatever, you’d be correct.

But, you jumped in and added something never mentioned, then pushed your site.

Sorry, but this is precisely what a Vendor Section is for. Your post is below.

I would have reported the post, but have no access to post in that forum. Perhaps someone can report the post for me. Thank you.

and the price of rice went up again.

So nathan, can you guarantee a report and the inspectors or exactly what is it that Inspection Central can do for me?

So if I ask that, he can answer? Is this really the way its going to work? Seems kinda silly, no?

We’re gonna need some tuna fish if we’re gonna herd cats. Wait…what’s that smell?:slight_smile:

Russell, you actually started a fairly decent thread here, and now you want to spin it around to another nathan thread?? wow you just put the kibosh on a good thing.

I have nothing against nathan talking about his products, or whatever he wants, but in the right place at the right time. I was into this thread until this spin.

BTW Nathan. I am still waiting on a call from you. 5 minutes could be worth the time.:wink:

Jim

Dom can you explain HIP to me

Ben can you tell me about your insurance?

Joe what does your arbitration service do?

John what is home hints?

So if they are asked in a thread they can be responded to? Doesn’t it seem rather easy to circumvent the system just by asking what I did above?

Jim my intention was to show how silly this vendor thingy, whatchamacallit is.

Just seems damn silly and it is not my intention to ruin the thread, but to really show that it will never work. As proven above

I agree it will not work and is basically useless. That is why I asked Nick in his thread announcing a vendor sign up the question of WHY ? what is the purpose. Not to be a shi…T stirrer, but really because I don’t see the point in it or any benefit to anyone. If there is, I would like to know, hence why I asked why.

Jim

Just seems silly is all. But like I have said in the past. Its Nicks world and he allows you to enter it…

Makes no difference to me, and never meant for it to be a NATE thing and would have done it, if it was a Joe, John, anybody thing.

I never thought licensing would be any kind of salvation.
I live and work in a State that requires licensing.

I do believe it’s for the greater good.
People are comparing themselves to Dentists (licensed!) and
other professionals, but they don’t want to be licensed themselves?

I don’t want a dentist or other professional who isn’t subject to oversight,
mandatory continuing education and punishment if necessary.

And yes, I like that licensure keeps just anyone from declaring themselves a home inspector or Dentist or Lawyer just cause they say so.

It would be great if we all regulated ourselves but that ain’t happening.

Get over yourself, you don’t have the education or the responsibility a Dentist has, I think Carly wrote a song about you. :wink:

Besides… Everyone knows that licensing breeds mediocrity.

Get over yourself? Wow… I have three times the experience, schooling and training as my Dentist.
Why always an attack to make a point?
And why do many not join in here?
All the experience and wisdom spewed behind negative attacks. Seems a shame that you aren’t willing to offer something from your experience to help those of us seeking advice.

Russell,

I agree that we don’t get paid what we are worth (barring the exceptions!), given the liability we take on.
But lets use the dentist example to start with. Dentists and other “professionals” pay enormous amounts of money in malpractice insurance.
Far more than a paltry 3k or so that E&O ins. costs.
And the vast majority of us operate out of our homes, not offices with receptionists, dental hygienists etc.
So, no we’re not going to get nor do we deserve to get 1200.00 for a small house inspection imho.

My termite ( a licensed professional! ) man has been in the biz for 37 years and charges 65.00 per inspection each and every day. Does he do it partially for the treatments he performs after the inspections? Of course he does. But he seems content with making 65.00 per 20 minute visit plus the extras.

Most of the homes I do here in Bmore are smallish, sometimes very small and they don’t take a lot of time. I charge 295.00 as a base price and if I did 2 a day I would be very happy with that. On another thread I mentioned that price and D. Duffy called that pricing “prehistoric”. For my market I disagree.
If I were in a super hot ( no pun intended ) market like Phoenix and were really established I’m sure my pricing would change.

I don’t worry about the future of our profession too much, we’ve only been around a few decades and inspect 70 some percent of the homes sold in this county? I say thats pretty good for a young profession. Do we have a ways to go? You betcha. But I think we’ll get there. Thanks for starting this thread!

Tom