What is the Survival Rate For Home Inspectors?

Wow, that sounds like an egotistical comment! :roll:

Especially coming from one of the two self-proclaimed lowballers posting on this thread!

Is he the one that made a previous claim he would significantly undercut his competition just to get “market share” even if it meant not making money on the jobs?

That be the one.

Lol. I never said those things. My average this year is $372 so far.

Even if I had said those things, my cheap inspections would be irrelevant to the success of another inspector, but they would blame me.

$372 nice! I’m sitting at $312 currently.

I’m more concerned with increasing my average hourly rate though, do any of you maintain those kinds of records and if so do you mind sharing what your average hourly rate is currently sitting at for the year?

Is $372 your average HI Fee… or your average **Ticket Fee **(including Radon, etc.)?
What is your average stand-alone HI Fee?

372 is my average ticket fee.

My average HI fee is 391. The reinspections and stand alone chimney inspections we do brought the average ticket price down. Reinspections are 139 and a level 2 chimney inspection is 159

It’s all relative though. I know guys charging 6-700 for what I do. None in my area that I know of though.

The point I was making was that inspectors like blaming other inspectors and Realtors. It doesn’t matter what I charge. If I was a cheap minimalist taking all the business from another inspector, that doesn’t say much about them. So many inspectors just need to look at their own company and stop worrying about everyone else is doing.

The only person I blame when things don’t go my way is myself. They typically go my way though.

To answer the question from the OP.

“What is the Survival Rate For Home Inspectors?”

The answer is, Zero. :wink:

1 Like

I booked a $700 inspection for Thursday. Includes radon. I did talk to a guy who charges $175 this week. He did 39 inspections in February so $6825.00 and he’s very happy about that.
Guess its all how you value your time.

1 Like

I’m still holding in at over 30 years.

2 Likes

Wow. Congrats. You and Dan B. must have been classmates. :slight_smile: This is awesome.

My average last year was $398 per inspection.

I think that puts me at about .23 cents per hour! :mrgreen:

I’m not sure about Roy and Dan being classmates, but I believe Roy was First Mate on Noah’s Ark!! :|.)

Average fee for single family home is $450.00.
Includes termite & windmit insurance report.
This week is slow, only 3 - $650-420-450.

I’ve been around for a very long time.
My “joke” is: in spite of myself, people call most every day and still want to give me money for something. :smiley:

1 Like

Good for you, Marc!

Those are great numbers, not too bad for a 3 day work week, huh?? :smiley: :cool:

I this becomes obvious when see so many redundant basic questions asked by students/new members.

There are so many answers on this board that right in front of anyone who looks, yet so many lack the ambition to even bother to read what’s right in front of them.

When I was a newbie, I spend hours every day reading posts on here. I would dig up 5 and 10 year old threads and go over them. I had questions, lots of them, but I found the answers already existed, and all I had to do was open my eyes and read them.

The Nachi forum helps those who help themselves.

3 Likes

I have been at this business nigh on to 20 years and my starting out fee is $425.00 I do no marketing anymore other than my web pages and my phone still rings. Had a woman call me this morning for a 800 SQ FT home for her son. She was hinting for a discount because of size. My statement was your 800 SQ FT home has the same systems to inspect as does a 2000 SQ FT home and I give no discounts for size.
Ya know after almost 20 years I still don’t know if I am doing things the correct way. All I can say for sure is I have no other source of income thanks to all the medical problems in my family. I still eat good and pay my bills on time what more do I need;-)

We started in 1998 and charged $350.00 I see many experienced inspectors charge less then that now .

Canadian? is that like $5 American? lol