What is this copper pipe for?

Originally Posted By: eidaj
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Any idea what this copper pipe is used for? It is in the front yard as you can see in the pic and comes up thru the basement floor, slab hasn’t been poured yet…

https://home.comcast.net/~eidaj/images/CopperPipe1.jpg
https://home.comcast.net/~eidaj/images/CopperPipe2.jpg
https://home.comcast.net/~eidaj/images/CopperPipe3.jpg

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Looks like your water supply line.

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Do you have natural gas in your area? If not, it appears to be a line for LPG supply.

David Valley

MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

dvalley wrote:
Do you have natural gas in your area? If not, it appears to be a line for LPG supply.

You mean you guys up there run natural gas or LP below grade through the basement slab with copper lines? ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif)

Originally Posted By: jpope

It could be for oil piping. I don’t think Cu is allowed for LP or gas underground.

Jeff Pope

JPI Home Inspection Service

“At JPI, we’ll help you look better”

(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: psabados

Hey guys

Forget about the oil or LP. Check the exterior wall of the neighbors house. Gas meter and electrical meter just under the window. See third photo, looks like it was taken from the front or street area.

Why would they run soft copper as water to the street area. Looking at the style of house he's having built, I would bet that the builder is installing a gas operated, pole yard light. Im also betting that the area where this house is being constructed has very loose code enforcement.

How about a little more info. Is this being built in an unincorporated area? A subbed out kit home or a builder owned developement? You're posting some serious questions that should be directed at the builder. I would strongly recommend that you find yourself a good construction consultant to work with you.

Paul

Originally Posted By: M. Hancock

Paul,

I'm just curious, what are the violations with the electric and gas meter locations?

A superintendents nightmare. A buyer who constantly comes on site, knows nothing, asks questions, gets the right answer, disagrees, doesn’t believe the super because obviously the builder doesn’t want to build the home the right way. Boy I used to hate that!!

Get yourself a good private home inspector and have him do a phase inspection. The inspector should be aware of the building practices in your area, what 1" copper lines underground are for (water only), whether cold joints cause a problem in your area and everything else. It will be well worth your time and money.

Originally Posted By: psabados

H. Hancock

If you look at the height of the electric meter it appears to be about 3 feet (maybe even less) above the grade line. Granted the grade is not finished at this time, the picture is taken from a distance and doesn't really help. Meter height should be 48 inches above grade.

With the electric meter on the utility side of the gas line, the distance between the gas meter and electric meter should be 36 inches. The regulator/manifold on gas meters have been known to leak and vent at times and personally speaking I would not feel comfortable with the gas meter located that close to a window that would be opened.

As for my guess on the gas line being supplied to an exterior gas light fixture, forget that. More than likely is going to be the copper water supply line to the dwelling. Stubbed pipe at picture #3 is where the meter location will be burried. I still feel that the dwelling is being constructed in a low code enforcement area.

Paul

Originally Posted By: M. Hancock

Paul,

As for this being a "low code enforcement area", I don't think I would be so quick to make that assumption based on a few photos. These items you point out are not the responsibility of the code enforcement officer. These items have been approved by the local utility company, as the meters have been installed.

It appears to me that there is a berm between the properties which gives the appearance that the electric meter is closer than 4' to grade.

My local utility has a requirement that there be a minimum clearance around a regulator vent as follows: 18" horizontal from each side of the vent and ten feet vertically above the vent, to any operable window.

As far as the 3' separation from electric meter to gas regulator vent, my local utility states "Electric meters and their associated overcurrent protection devices and mounting bases, are not considered to be sources of ignition when installed in exterior, well vented locations." Therefore the 3' separation is not required.

These items we list are strictly local requirements by the utility companies. They are not code violations, at least not here in California.

Have a Great Holiday!