What is this....surge protection device?

The point should be obvious, Bob, that the burden’s on you because, according to your logic, (a) if something is literally unidentifiable as in this case, one should assume it’s UL labeled, and (b) if it’s installed incorrectly with a double tap as in this case, that’s OK, too, since the unidentifiable device is most likely a surge protector on the grounds some inspector, although no one else, says he’s seen lots of them before. I’m a code-certified electrical inspector myself, and one reason I stopped going to IAEI meetings was the womanish pettiness. You’re simply trying to be contentious, pal. With you and a few other trivia trolls jumping all over people here like cross-examining pedants, no wonder so few people bother with this forum.

1 Like

You still didn’t answer my simple question but that’s ok, I’ll let the person who started this thread decide what information in this thread is relevant and what infomation isn’t.

I’ll take the high road but you can continue with your condescension and insults if you like doesn’t bother me at all. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

That seals it, he’s an electrical inspector.
Perhaps you should brush up on the subject… maybe a post on some authoritative site like Mike Holt. :wink: :grin:

Now what fun is that? :wink:

Hmmm…considering my gender, I’m not really going to pay much attention to your responses regardless of your knowledge. You have to earn respect…now I know why quality of home inspections are all over the place. Ever heard that joke about how many guitarists it takes to change a lightbulb?? Thanks to the people that gave me credible information without fanfare.

3 Likes

The effectiveness of whole-house suppressors is not as good as what the manufacturers promote them as being but they aren’t junk. Fires caused by surge suppressors are usually caused by the ones in power strips.

The newer whole-house suppressors are more sophisticated than the older style. The manufacturers are trying to force people to install them. If they get their way (and the usually do), they will be in the National Electrical Code as early as next year. However, that doesn’t mean states or local inspection authorities will require them.

1 Like

I’m a retired electrician and I have installed dozens of that very surge protector during my active years. I’m also retired out of the active fire service after 35 years in this community alone. Why that matters is that I have seen both aspects of electrical installations having performed so many of them and having responded to the emergencies that are caused when they fail. That looks like a Delta brand protector. If I have guessed correctly then it is installed in violation of it’s listing and labeling. They came with a right angle bracket to secure them in place inside the panel enclosure. My aging eyes did not see one in the photograph. In lieu of using a bracket they could be installed through a 1/2 inch nominal knock out. We often did that in order to follow the instructions, which were included with the listing and labeling, that required that the wires from the protector be as straight and as short as possible to the terminals of the breaker. The Delta protectors’ instructions did say to connect them to any convenient double pole breaker that was 30 amperes or larger. The instructions did not call for a separate breaker. The instructions also said that if the protector did fail it would blow out a plastic plug and discharge sparks from the end opposite the threaded nipple. That is why many AHJs required that the protector be mounted in the interior of the Service Equipment enclosure. That doesn’t explain why that one does not appear to have a bracket, let alone one that is properly mounted and NO the Ty Wrap is not an acceptable substitute. In no case would hanging it from it’s wires have been acceptable.

Tom Horne
Retired Electrician.

1 Like