What is this?

I was at my son’s house (recently purchased) helping him with some plumbing and carpentry projects. I spotted this device attached to one of the pipes. Can anyone tell me what it is and what is it’s purpose?



Not sure about the device but that galvanized strap wrapped around copper is a problem. That copper will continue to corrode until it leaks.