What is wrong with this panel?

Originally Posted By: Heath Brier Johns
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

What is the service size?

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/n/nachi_001.jpg ]

Originally Posted By: bsumpter

icon_eek.gif

Holy Moly!

--
"In the fields of observation, chance favors only the mind that is prepared"

Louis Pasteur

Originally Posted By: Brian A. Goodman

There’s really no way to tell from that photo. What you have is a meter base / panel combo, so the rating on the meter base or the size of the incoming service wires will determine that (which ever is smaller). Almost all of those things I’ve ever seen were 200 amp, but they have made 100 & 150 amp models. One of the big double poles usually feeds a 100 amp sub panel inside the house. They installed hundreds (if not thousands) of those across the state line in Bama, not one I’ve ever seen with the sub panel wired right.

That one doesn't look too good anyway.

Originally Posted By: roconnor

Is that a combo meter/panel enclosure with an attached meter base above, or just an outdoor panel with a separate meter base? Looks pretty old too.

Typically the service rating is the lesser of the main breaker, panel rating, service feeders, and meter base rating.

Looks like a 60A "back fed" panel (with what appears may be the required hold down screw for the breaker connecting the feeders on the lower right breaker ... cant see to good). I am assuming there isn't a separate main service disconnect somewhere else, and note the AL wires which have a lower capacity and possible connection deterioration issues to check. Also looks like possible wire insulation deterioration, and a white hot wire that should be re-identified.

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong