What is wrong with this picture?

Originally Posted By: jmyers
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Thanks for helping inspect this for me. You were all correct with exception of the garage at the top of the stairs.

Yes the header is missing. Yes the sill plate is sagging. Yes the electric wires are attached to the poured concrete foundation. No fire rated door is required because these stairs lead to the exterior of the house. I thought it was pretty poor that there was no door on this opening.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

You mean it was FINISHED??? I can see light through the cellar stair cover. I thought this was a pre drywall type inspection.

As far as the wires on the concrete, every garage down here is done that way. ( all poured or CBS construction)

Blaine ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Originally Posted By: rhinck

Joe,

Just a word of caution. Don't assume there is not a header just because it is not under the joist ends, You should look to see if the rim or box joist has been doubled creatina a "flush header" This could be true for both pix.

Just a Thought

Rick

Originally Posted By: rhinck

Joe,

Just a word of caution. Don't assume there is not a header just because it is not under the joist ends. You should look to see if the rim or box joist has been doubled creating a "flush header" This could be true for both pix.

Just a Thought

Rick

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Box headers arent allow on TJI’s, are they?

Blaine

Rick,

Good thought, I think! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Anyway, no there was no header over this door opening, or the window openings for that matter. The joists are resting on the sill plate which is causing it to sag in the door opening. The sill plate for the windows are not sagging yet but I explained to the client that eventually he will not be able to open those windows because of the pressure and if enough pressure is applied over time it will eventually cause those windows to explode, more or less but not before they lose the gas between the panes. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

BTW....this was a new house, just built. The light you are seeing in the door opening is light from the exterior coming through the bilco door. I thought it was prettty poor they did not add the door to the opening. This is going to make this basement pretty cold in the winter.

Nick,

Have you ever found anything wrong on all the inspections we did? Hmmm....now I am starting to wonder.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Joe:

I disagree. I cannot say that there are missing headers by looking at these pics.

Nick

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Joe,

This type of header looks awful springy, if you ask me. Maybe they ran out of 2x4's.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: rking

Hello All,

In a TJI application it is accepable to double up the rim joist which is typically also engineered wood approximately 1" - 2" thick, and then TJI hangers installed because the 1 1/2" bearing rule would be compromised in such an application. It is also quite possible that the rim joist has been engineered to carry the weight of the joists over these openings, however by looking at the pictures it does not appear that this has been done.

I am however surprised to learn that the use of wolmanized sill plates is accepted and indeed required in areas. Up here the use of wolmanized lumber in any interior application is prohibited completely. I have seen it in new construction where the lumber supply company sent wolmanized bridging, the carpenter duly installed it, then the AHJ called it out, the lumber supplier had to send a crew to rip it all out and replace it with KD SPF bridging!

Is the wolmanized required because of termites???? In my area these pests are non existent so I have never had to deal with the issue thankfully.

--
Muskoka Home Inspections
"Wisdom is the Anticipation of the Consequences"
Steering Committee Member At Large

Nick,

Can you see the sill plate? Can you see the laminated joists resting on the sill plate?

Joe Myers

Joe,

Forget about it. I just corrected it. You now have a header and trim board , to have a door installed and the exposed romex is now installed in a protective covering.
![](upload://vbkeyn3G7biL3DvC7XiJNLnBFm8.gif)
http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/0fullheader.jpg

--
David Valley
MAB Member

David,

Do you really consider adding a piece of 2" x 6" lumber on it's flat as sufficient support? ![icon_confused.gif](upload://qv5zppiN69qCk2Y6JzaFYhrff8S.gif) Or are you just pulling our collective legs?

--
Muskoka Home Inspections

Robert,

I went with what resources I had for cloning. I couldn't find an upright horizontal 2X8 to add in, so I threw in any ole piece of wood. I'll be right back. Let me perform some tricks.
![](upload://3FlbX5kL8576QWLGm5AMYlZMHj9.gif)
Ok..I spent 10 minutes making the proper header. Looks fully supported now.

This is one reason why I don't take pics on my home inspections. I'm afraid that I'll return home and start messing with my own downloaded pictures, to correct any/all defects. Then I'll have no defects to report!
My mind wanders too much when I'm looking at pics. It's a hobby of mine.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

David,

You are good!! ![icon_cool.gif](upload://oPnLkqdJc33Dyf2uA3TQwRkfhwd.gif)
Real Good

--
Muskoka Home Inspections