What some Contractors are doing these days!!

Originally Posted By: rbracklow
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

This is interesting reading - check it out!!

David Weekly Homes is spending 4 million dollars to send their employees to paradise while Weekly continues to put the Richardson family through a living nightmare. The Richardson?s were forced from their Toxic Mold Home after only 5 short weeks, never to return but have continued to pay a mortgage on a their 5 bedroom the is now a toxic uninhabitable house built by David Weekly. For the past 2-? years (970 days now!) the Richardson continue to sleep in a single cramped bedroom, while David Weekly employees are going to Hawaii to celebrate.

Scott and Dawn Richardson can be reached at prove@vaccineinfo.net.

Janet Ahmad

President

San Antonio, Texas

http://www.hobb.org/

Phone: 210-402-6800

Feb. 5, 2004, 11:39PM
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/2390155

Team effort leads to paradise
David Weekly rewards employees after sales double
By PURVA PATEL
Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

At a time when most companies are trimming budgets, David Weekly Homes is spending $4 million to reward about 1,000 employees and their guests with a trip to Hawaii.

Next month they'll all get to spend a week on Maui, as their boss makes good on a promise made five years ago to take everyone from office clerks to builders on the trip if sales doubled and customer service improved by 2003.

Now workers wear Hawaiian shirts to meetings, talk about the luaus to come, and have grass skirts not only on the walls, but on the brain.

"We're very excited," said Debbie Geisler, a human resources manager for the Houston-based company. "Some people are talking about getting those spray-on tans so you look good in your Hawaiian gear."

The home builder posted $948 million in sales this year, almost twice the sales posted five years earlier, and company surveys indicate customer satisfaction climbed to 95 percent.

"We've had an extraordinary five years," Weekly said. "And our folks put out a tremendous effort."

It's no secret that low interest rates have bolstered the housing market in recent years, perhaps nudging Weekly Homes toward its target numbers. However, Weekly maintains that the market doesn't deserve all the credit.

"Have we had help from low interest rates? You bet," he said. "But the goals that we set were much further and deeper than low interest rates could satisfy."

In exchange for their hard work, all full-time employees hired before July 1, 2003, will get to snorkel, sunbathe and sightsee in Hawaii, without using their vacation days.

But they can't all go at once. They can choose one of four weeks in March to take the trip.

This isn't the first time some employees have gone on a holiday on the company's bill. The company has held contests before for particular divisions or city offices with a free trip awarded if the set goals are met.

The entire company went to Maui five years ago for reaching sales of $546 million. Fortune magazine mentioned the trip in 2000, the first of three consecutive years the publication listed David Weekly Homes among its top 100 places to work.

Like last time, this trip will be all play -- well mostly. A training session and a few team-building games on the beach are required, but the employees can do whatever they want the rest of the time.

Beverly Bradley, a senior sales coach, said she plans to lie on the beach and perhaps go snorkeling. She's going with her husband, who also works for the company, and he's bringing his mother along.

"Many of us would never go to Hawaii without an opportunity like this," said Bradley, who has gone on cruises to the Caribbean and a trip to Maui once before on the company. "It's awesome."

Such incentives are common in the sales industry, where salespeople often compete for trips or cash bonuses based on how much they sell.

But the rewards are usually limited to the top salespeople or specific divisions. Rarely does everyone from the human resources department to tech support get to go, experts said.

"It's not something that I've heard of done very often," said Paula Godar, a manager at Maritz Incentives, which provides companies with incentive design and consulting services.

While a group trip can help build camaraderie among co-workers and serve as a good recruitment tool, it can also backfire, said Anna Marie Buchmann, a management consultant with RHR International in Wood Dale, Ill.

Some employees may not like to travel or are too busy to take a trip. If there's no alternative reward for them, she said, the workers left behind could start to resent their employer.

Employees used to the trips could also start to see the rewards as a "right."

"You've got to ask yourself, are you increasing expectations to an unreasonable level?" Buchmann said. "You have to manage employee and prospective employee expectations."

Team awards also can be hard to justify if some employees think they worked harder than others.

But Weekly says the numbers prove his employees have worked hard to improve the company. They sold 15,000 homes in the past five years, 3,549 of them in 2003.

"That's a lot of people to make happy," he said. "We're a very performance-oriented culture. It's not just warm and fuzzy where we hug each other all the time. We live and die by our customer surveys."

What do you people think? This is one reason why we have inspectors!!

Ron.

Originally Posted By: kleonard

Originally Posted By: wcampbell

As long as people are willing to pay for TRASH, there will be somebody willing to sell it to them. If these people, the ones buying a house, would step back and say, “I’m not paying for that”, then builders would be forced to put out a good product.

I have said for years that the reason McDonalds is the largest restaraunt chain in the world, is that people are either to afraid to say "I a want better product." or "I'm not going to support you".

There are people that think that McDonalds puts out a good burger, but it's trash. If more people would boycot the companies that produce trash, we might even get some decent buildings in the home market.

--
This Ole House-Home Inspections
William A. Campbell TREC # 6372
Serving the Texas Coastal Bend
(361) 727-0602 (home)
(361) 727-0055 (office)
(361) 229-4103 (cell)

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Quote:
There are people that think that McDonalds puts out a good burger, but it's trash.

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

wcampbell wrote:
As long as people are willing to pay for TRASH, there will be somebody willing to sell it to them.

Problem is, when it comes to homes, most people don't know what is trash and what is not. That makes business for us.

--

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !

Originally Posted By: rwills

Just like any other industry out there, you have bad builders and good ones! I did quite a few new construction inspections last year and already this year they’re adding up! With over 25 years experince in building, I welcome these and enjoy doing them. It’s almost like having flashbacks when you walk onto these jobsites.

You start learning who the good and bad builders are. The bad ones despise a home inspector showing up on the site. It’s like they’re dealing drugs and you’re the DEA or something!

Bob Wills - MAB Chairman

BW Inspection Services

Warminster, Pa.

http://www.bwinspections.com

Originally Posted By: dkeough

Funny that you would say DEA. My partner were on an inspection the other day andwe showed up about 30 minutes early. Our company is DEA Home Inspections and we wear DEA hats. The woman wouldn’t let us in until the buyer got there, so I told her I would start with the exterior while we waited. After about 10 minutes she opened the garage door and told us to come inside and start our inspection. As we entered, she commented that all the neighbors must think she was dealing drugs or something with DEA walking around her roof, looking in windows and poking around the house. I had to laugh at that one, at least it got me in the inspection earlier.