What the heck is with FLIR?

OK… let’s all feel sorry for FLIR.

Not.

Any luck with Fluke and Primo in Montreal John?

I’ve got the T300 (high temp) and haven’t had any issues with it. Also have the Extech MO 297 moisture meter and Extech EX 845 clamp meter that are compatible with the T300 and the E60. Let me know if you want to check those out.

Yeah Will, we did not realize this at first. When I dropped an email to the guy you have been talking to at FLIR, I didn’t realize I was taking care of our own customer service, hehe.

We are putting measures in place to make sure stuff like this doesn’t get lost in the mix because it went through a 3rd party vendor. There were other slight issues on our side that could not really be avoided, but those will be fixed in the coming weeks…mainly getting more up to speed on the E series and getting some more FLIRs in to our loaner pool.

If you need anything at all please drop me a line at anytime.

Do you have a dedicated website for infrared or do you just have a page on your main HI page for it? Let me know which and the link(s) and I will get you in to our infrared inspector directory. It will rank extremely high in Google 1-2 weeks after I get you a dedicated page in there.

Thanks,

JJ

Yes… thanks.

That’s why Apple and Fluke exist. Free market compitition.

The American Way!

I will keep that in mind. My thermal page is here:

Recieved the t300 loaner and it is a good camera, but has too many bells and whistles for my personal tastes. The E60 BX has the same resolution and many of the same features, but is easier to use (in my opinion) and is about 1/2 the price.

BTW: The RMA to send my “broke” camera to FLIR stated as the reasons “RECALL”.

I am sure that they are doing everything that the can to get this problem fixed. When they do, I believe that the E60BX will be a kick a** camera. I remember back to my first camera, the old B-Cam (the red one). about the same price (at the time) as the E60BX, but the E has more than twice (close to 3 times) the resolution, larger picture space, some cool added features (ones that actually are useful to HIs, in my opinion) and the FINALLY got the lens cap issue fixed. Plus, they give you TWO batteries!

So, doing well, getting to play with a T300 for my trouble and have a few owezies with FLIR.

Gonna show off the T300 at the upcoming chapter CE class. Already demoed at a couple of contractor seminars and the locak Green Building Council meeting.

Think I am gonna stay with FLIR.

OK. Issue resolved. FLIR Fed-Ex’d my new E60 BX bac today. All fixed and working (and I really worked it out to make sure that it was ALL fixed).

Great camera, as fuctional (in all the ways I need) and about 1/2 the price of the T300. To tell the truth, I found the T300 a bit “clunky” to use. Maybe I am just used to the gun grip configuration.

Some advice to FLIR, if they will indulge me.

• Why the “touch screen” feature? Overly touch and complex to use and adds nothing to the pie.
  • They have temp and humidity and distance info, but you have to type it in or use the blue tooth accessories. Why not just put a thermometer, humidity gauge and range finder in the camera? They there is no need to enter them.
  • JUST LOVE the new lens cap. Through the B-Cam and the SD, the lens cap was always an issue. Considering that the lens is more that 50% of the cost of the camera, this is a very good thing.
  • FLIR included a cig lighter recharger (good) and a third battery (even better). If they would only include a holster, that would be great!

All in all, FLIR really responds. I am completely satisified.

Hope this helps;

Mr.Decker.
I will start off by saying I am happy all the issues where resolved.
Observing the thermal images is nice. I understand the principal of the application being used. Also the benefits somewhat.I have looked into Fluke IR Cameras and understand and quality PIP, levels, full screen, pixels, etc.
Questions.
1# average home average deficiency’s. How long does it take compared to conventional inspection methods. Percentage of time if you can please. Not hours.
Approximate cost compared to standard inspection method. Again percent not cost against cost. 30-50 percent more?
2# You observed radiant heating tubes in the ceiling. Would it not make a more sense to install them in the floor. If installed in ceiling joists, they are harder to repair. Also if they break they will leak DOWN creating a larger disruption and escalate the cost of repair.
Do you mention this in your report?
Just curious.
Thanks Robert

I hope you’re not serious…

I’m not Mr Decker, but I’ll put my 2 bits in…

#1 - adds 10-20% more time to inspection depending on observations (and if you are properly educated and own adequate equipment)
Increased income is 15-25%+ more than typical inspection costs… however, some inspectors add this service on at no additional cost

#2 - With that line of reasoning, unless they are leaking there is no defect. Otherwise we would need to red flag every second floor bath or ANY other “wet” area located above finished surfaces. So no, unless there is a reportable concern, there is no mention in a report.

Understand, I have old building habits. I always thought of the job first,(saves you and the client money ) them applied the best practice.
I know I am HI now.Defect and deficiency that,s it.
Thanks Mr.Warrner.
Typing on your screen was the first thing that popped into my mind. WOW.
You are adding 20 plus time and 25 cost increase. I know some charge the same. I would like to see there work and there IR cameras they use.
Thanks mate…
They have to lack somewhere.

Yeah, who needs all those stinkin’ numbers anyway?

That is why they put in the blue tooth, so you can connect to equipment that puts those numbers in automatically.

But that is too many bells and wh…
Makes things too “clunky” :wink:

I use a BX320 a lot when I am just “looking around” on an inspection.
It is faster to use in some applications and it runs faster (not so many “clunky” things going on in there). But, 150 electrical panels and mfg equipment makes my neck hurt by the end of the day. The BX320 is a Building application camera, the T400 has ranges well above the boiling point of water and is more applicable for other uses.

As they (ITC) teach in every level of training I - III, camera selection for particular applications is an important consideration. They didn’t make all these different cameras just for the fun of it. Comparing cameras is Apples and Oranges… But most just by from the price tag, as you mentioned.

Linas, what’s with you? You know we don’t need no stinkin numbes in building inspection!
After all, 99% of the scans are indirect measurements!
You only need numbers to run the math to determine R-Value, dew point, wet bulb, and plain old sensible heat calculations…

Delta T (apparent) measurements are the same even if you don’t correct the numbers aren’t they?

We don’t need to know dew point and wet bulb temps. We have a moisture meter to back up our findings. You can tell the difference in a roof/plumbing leak over condensation (where the anomaly is an air leak vs. a water leak) can’t you?

Mr. Decker, you could have gotten a holster free from many of the distributors out there. Just depends where you buy the camera from.

I just leave it in auto and let the camera figure out the rest. Reflective T, ambient T, emissivity is always the same isn’t it?

As long as you don’t move! :slight_smile:

Nope.

Even with building science applications, all the parameters should be recorded. As David stated, how else will you know if that water leaking out of the can lights is caused by a bad roof or just condensation? I always record the relavent parameters. This is especially helpful when doing litigation work. I have been able to mess up the testimony of many an Architect by proving (with numbers) that the problems were the result of bad design and not the GC messing up (although they do, also).

If it were to be done, twer best be done well. :wink:

BTW: If you and David are just being sarcastic, please disregard the above.

I’ll stumble through this IR thing. I think it’s Andersen that needs some help.:wink: I’ll try to coach him if he asks.

Be gentle, Linus. He can’t help that he got dropped on his head as a baby :mrgreen:

BTW: Are you coming to the CE class on Thursday?

I’m not sure. I may have a condo in the city to do Thurs. or Fri. at 6:00. Waiting for confirmation.