what type of specialist to refer

a sub-division of homes with stepped properties, retaining walls that create a stepped look. the home inspected, on the north west side the retaining wall has two large step-cracks. 1 inch space and it has shifted 3/4 inch inward. the retaining wall on the south side looks good or even recently rebuilt. the south west corner of the home has two V-cracks inside. where the cracks are located its obvious this one corner has settled or the earth has shifted. 30 feet west side of the home is a gully and no retaining wall but drainage for the property was located here.

what type of specialist do you refer for this situation

…a qualified professional, a structural engineer would seem to work.

That’s a judgement call you’ll have to decide on your own. It could be a soils engineer, structural engineer, landscape/grading contractor, a general contractor, or all of the above.

Do you have any pictures?

When I find failing retaining walls, I recommend a mason or landscaper to evaluate and estimate repairs.

thanks guys

sorry Jeff No pics as customer did not want any so i didn’t take camera

Hello Chad,

Just a recommendation…whether the customer wants pictures or not, I aways take my camera just in case…never know when something weird will pop up, and need the visual documentation for my files. :smiley:

I usually take about 150 photos per inspection simply to document the place. I have been told that the pictures can save your behind in court.

Landscape Architect


Doesn’t matter if “they” want them or not, Always, always take pictures of conditions of the homes you inspect. I take on average 100+ pics per inspection. I tell my clients upfront so they know that my flash bulb is going to go off, A LOT! :wink: and the quantity of “flashes” is nothing to be alarmed about, as it relates to their inspection, or potential issues of the home. I am simply digitally recording the homes condition.


Off topic:

I have done two inspections where I was not allowed to take photographs, and security confiscated my cell phone (because it’s a camera phone) prior to entering the property.

I also once had to sign a contract, stating that I would not disclose any information about the property or the parties involved, to anyone.

Thats what happens when you inspect the Governator’s private home. :mrgreen:

GovernatorArnold (Small).jpg

It can depend on who you have good professional relations with. If you can get a good foundation contractor out there, they can give estimates for repair and can usually pinpoint the cause and sometimes make suggestions for preventative measures, depending onthe situation and the age of the home.

No pictures, no inspection. You may need that documentation someday in court.
Tom Schlotter