What type of unit is this?

Not familiar with this setup.Brand name begins with a k.MDU condo conversion four years ago but building is 1963.Is there a chance that one picture is asbesto’s.[ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]73075.jpg[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Would appreciate any info on this thing.Big unit is for the whole building and sitting in corral.

73074.jpg

73071.jpg

73072.jpg

I can tell you, in a general sense, it’s a combination system… The switches on the front of the unit control the blower only. I saw one of these (same brand, same looking innards) on a unit I was doing some work on a few months ago. Sheridan road lakefront condo built in the 60s. Can’t tell from your picture if it’s asbestos or glass fiber on the back of that access panel. The unit I saw was glass fiber with foil facing.

Exactly,this was in Des Plaines.Is this a chiller unit?.
Spoke to the association president and all she could tell me was they repaced one of the units in the complex at a 30,000 dollar price tag a few weeks ago.

I think the simple answer would be - one that needs to be replaced.

Sorry - couldn’t resist

Can not tell from the pic’s but a chiller has to have a water loop with a pump to move the water. The Evap would have a Freon side and a water side to be considered as a chiller.

The insulation on the door PIC is Fiber glass

Charlie you are the best answer I got so far.Here is a picture of to cold pipes outside the unit.73076.jpg

Well there is your pump and the chilled water loop so you have a chiller and those chilled water lines supply and return are loosing a lot of temp by not being insulated and normal process is to insulate the pump end of the pump also.

It looks like such an ancient unit I was wondering if chillers last longer as I now need to brush up on these things.
Never had to deal with one before now.Not even sure how to comment in the report.

That unit would be considered light commercial and like any other piece of equipment life expectancy depends on maintenance performed and that unit appears to be lacking.

You Should have a Delta T across the water loop just like on a any other system. Any reputable installed unit would have pressure gages and thermometers in the water loop supply and return. I would recommend checking the intake side of the condenser for Matting thought I could see 3 condenser fan brackets means you are moving a large volume of air across the condenser very easy to block.

Your Evap would be like a hot water heater lying on its side and should be insulated water header would probally be on one end and the freon header with expansion valve would probally be located on the other end.

Thanks Charlie…It was a late inspection and all the condos so far have been HVAC over here ,so I was suprised to find this unit.My base ment access was limited due to the listing agent not having a key to the utility area.
I appreciate the help though and only wish I could have had some more information on it.My guess is it will need replacing soon.The exchanger in the closet looks rather rusty also and I am just guessing the huge amount of condensation is normal with these things.I found out the building next door spent 30 grand replacing theirs…

On equipment that I’ve never seen before and know is rare (at least for the area), I have no problem deferring to an expert. I would say something like: “The cooling unit is not conventional for the area. The inspector does not have much experience with this type of unit and it is recommended that an experienced Heating and Cooling Contractor inspect the unit. Make sure that the contractor contacted does have experience with this type of system.”

Jeff that is what I will do and is covered as far as it is a condo contract disclaiming what is covered by the association.

I own an apartment building that has a central Trane Centravac chiller for all the units, and it is from 1947. The unit continues to run strong with annual maintenance from Trane.

Marc… can you give me a desciption on how these things operate.
Does it fall under water chiller catagory?.It seems there are different types.