what will be the 20m economical truss

Originally Posted By: adnan
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hi All,

I am facing problem with a steel structure. Its like, on 7m high steel columns, a truss is resting. So with minimum height of say 0.6m to 0.75m and a slope of 1:10, what could be the most economical system??? trusses are at a spacing of 5m with span of 20m.

One system, i am working, is of castiglated girder of I section(i.e. increase the depth of the girder by cutting and rearranging it).

Please help me out.

Thanks in advance
Adnan.[/quote]

Originally Posted By: jrivera

hi and welcome, what the heck did you just say !!! ??? i like to get an answer to that too !!!

Originally Posted By: lkage

Well, if the girder has had severe punishment inflicted on it, I would think you would want to replace it or engineer a fix.

As far as the other stuff you're talking about I really have no idea what you mean ![icon_confused.gif](upload://qv5zppiN69qCk2Y6JzaFYhrff8S.gif) and I'm not an engineer. I just focused on the "castigated" girder. Of course, you could have really meant "castiglated" as written (and if so, I apologize) but I don't know what that means either.

But do be careful. Seven meters is high off the ground.

--
"I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him."
Galileo Galilei

Originally Posted By: Jay Moge

all #s in “m” meters? obviosly a test form a forign planet. testing to find the smartest one of us to abduct and force to build ships that will destroy our planet and end life as we know it…by the way, to answer the original question: I HAVE NO IDEA. icon_cool.gif

Originally Posted By: jbushart

adnan wrote:
Hi All,
I am facing problem with a steel structure. Its like, on 7m high steel columns, a truss is resting. So with minimum height of say 0.6m to 0.75m and a slope of 1:10, what could be the most economical system??? trusses are at a spacing of 5m with span of 20m.
One system, i am working, is of castiglated girder of I section(i.e. increase the depth of the girder by cutting and rearranging it).
Please help me out.

Thanks in advance
Adnan.

Adnan,

Economical, in what sense? Time, space or material?

--
Home Inspection Services of Missouri
www.missourihomeinspection.com

"We're NACHI. Get over it."

www.monachi.org

Originally Posted By: roconnor

Sounds like a design/engineering issue for something other than standard US residential construction that really doesn’t involve home inspection.

JMO and 2-nickels ... ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: ccoombs

Adnan

"castiglated girder of I section(i.e. increase the depth of the girder by cutting and rearranging it)"

Based on your description, it sounds like many of the designs used in commercial strip malls. These building are in the 60 ft deep range and very long. They will use a tapered steel beam that is very shallow at the bearing point and deep at the middle of the span. This is due to the increased moment at the middle of the span. This helps save in the amount of steel used. They will typically sit on steel columns. These systems are for bearing loads only. They will require some other type of lateral resisting system. Because they are stores, they typically have wood or block wall at the rear of the building and glass at the front. This requires steel moment frames at the front of the buildings.

I have also seen them use large open web trusses in lieu of the tapered steel beams. In the US, the cost of labor makes the cutting and welding of the tapered beam less cost effective.

I have worked with several engineers that are located in India. If you like, I can forward your contact information to them.

--
Curtis

Originally Posted By: mcyr

icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif

Sounds like it should have be a Behlen Building or similar.
Take a look at this site, it might help.

http://www.americansteelmfg.com/frames.html

Marcel

Originally Posted By: Jay Moge

Curtis; be carefull. you sound too smart. there ganna beam you up. aiwebs_010.gif

Originally Posted By: mcyr

icon_smile.gif

This does not sound logical Captain.

Mr. Spock.