What would you do?

Originally Posted By: tshields
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Inspected a house today for a young first time buyer. He expressed concern over old termite damage that had been"repaired", specifically sill plates damaged due to termites. Someone had come in and scabbed new joists next to the old ones with the ends resting on new 2x8s screwed along the top of the block foundation wall. Some of the new joists werent even touching the new board while others didnt even reach all the way across! Needless to say the buyer backed out and wanted to stop the insp.

I agreed just to help him because we have all been first time buyers. I spoke to the realtor (who refered me, first referal from them) of what we had found. I explained to realtor that buyer was aware of problem before he even called me but wanted some reassurance. Naturally the realtor wasnt happy but polite, told me he needed a report from me! I told him I worked for the buyer, not him but would write a letter explaining our findings. This is to help the buyer get his ernest money back. What would you have done? Write the letter to help the buyer? Or refuse to do anything?

Thanks, Ted

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

I’d write the report up to as far as the inspection stopped and explain why it stopped. I’d then give a copy to my client and ask him if he wants a copy sent to the realtor. If so, I give the realtor a copy, if not, you’re done.

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: jpope

Most buyers are protected by a contingency based on the results of the home inspection. If you did not complete the inspection, the buyer cannot rely on this contingency.

If there was work done by the owner, this should have been reported in the disclosures. If so, the buyer had previous knowledge of this fact. If not, the buyer can withdraw based on non-disclosure.

IMHO, the inspection contingency cannot be relied upon if the inspection was not completed. Your recommendations should request copies of work orders and receipts. If this work was done properly, there is no basis for the buyer to back out.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

If I want an inspector to come in and inspect one item in my home, that’s enough to satisfy the inspection contingency. No rule says you have to complete an entire inspection of the whole property in order for the contingency to kick in.

Originally Posted By: pdacey

kmcmahon wrote:
I'd write the report up to as far as the inspection stopped and explain why it stopped. I'd then give a copy to my client and ask him if he wants a copy sent to the realtor. If so, I give the realtor a copy, if not, you're done.

I agree. I had a similar situation the other day. I terminated the inspection after I completed the exterior and went inside. The entire house was infested with roaches and rats. I mean they were everywhere.They were tough characters too. They didn't even flinch when I turned on the lights and went in. The best part was that the tenants were still there and sleeping in the bedroom. ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif)

I wrote a report for as far as the inspection went, marked areas I didn't get to as "Not Inspected" and documented why I terminated the inspection.

Client is still purchasing the property.

--
Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636
www.southwestinspections.com

or undisclosed. That is the purpose of the inspection contingency.

Basically, the inspection simply confirmed that there was a termite problem and that there were corrections made.

The client decided to pull out based on confirmation? Or were these things not disclosed in the beginning?

--
Jeff Pope
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

Sounds to me like the client backed out based on the inadequacy of the repair work.

Erby Crofutt

B4U Close Home Inspections

Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Originally Posted By: John Bowman

Ted,

Are there any "Termination" clauses within your contract with the client. Was there any money transfer involved? In other words, were any services paid for? If not, I personally would not want to submit any letters or reports? Inspectors should be paid for their services if they are going to be held responsible for their comments.

Is there a possibility of money forfeiture on the contract that the client may have signed with the listing agent because he backed out of the deal. Is this why the realtor requested a letter?

Originally Posted By: dvalley

I’ve also had clients cancel half way through the inspection.

I just note on their report as to why the inspection was not completed (client did not wish to continue with this home inspection) and very importantly, report which components were "not viewed".
I also billed them appropriately. I'll always discount their fee. Every client that had cancelled their inspection has called me back to inspect another property.

![](upload://qFmolxc9QZ5xuDZTe21e7GGQAta.gif)

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

ecrofutt wrote:
Sounds to me like the client backed out based on the inadequacy of the repair work.

Based on who's opinion?

--
Jeff Pope
(661) 212-0738

Quote:
I explained to realtor that buyer was aware of problem before he even called me but wanted some reassurance.

Sounds to me like the buyer put an offer on the house, and then went in and did a 2nd look of the property. The repair work probably didn't look right to him, so he asked for a second opinion in the form of a HI. The fact that Ted agreed with the inadequacy of the repair work was probably enough to make him want to back out of the deal, and the inspection contingency helped him do just that.

--

," we (as home inspectors) are not qualified to make that determination. At best, we can recommend further evaluation by a licensed professional - an expert.

Jeff Pope

“At JPI, we’ll help you look better”

(661) 212-0738

. A fine line to be certain.