What would you say about this?

Should this flashing be re-nailed to the chimney? I say yes, what say you? Licensed roof contractor says okay as is…

IMG_7478.JPG

No, it’s not okay to leave openings in the flashing big enough to throw a cat into, let alone water entry.

If that is masonry it is typically not nailed.

Here’s some info:

http://www.copper.org/applications/architecture/arch_dhb/flashings_copings/chimney.html

[FONT=Arial Narrow]The stucco flashing is not correctly installed at the chimney. [/FONT][FONT=Arial Narrow]Flashing(s) at and around these locations are required to go on top of the substrate and underneath the vapor barrier, not on top of the scratch coat. The installation that is currently present will allow moisture intrusion. Repairs will require the removal of stucco at this location, inspection of the structural integrity with replacement if necessary, proper reapplication of the flashing(s) and stucco replacement in order to prevent moisture intrusion and the potential for substrate and structural member damage. Consult a qualified stucco professional familiar with the current industry standards, flashing techniques and moisture intrusion prevention for estimates prior to closing.[/FONT]

BTW: Yes, this is a canned comment that goes in my reports. Feel free to rip it off if it suits your needs, or edit and post here. We can all improve.

This is probably the most common thing that happens during a construction project if the builder doesn’t stay on top of it.

Alot of trades people just have no pride. If it’s easier to pass the buck they will.

If the chimney is wood the framer may say flashing is not my job.The roofer does that. In fact it is easier to slide the flashing in when it is framed and sometimes near impossible when the roofers arrive.
The same is true if the chimney is masonry.The counter flashing should be bent over at the top and laid into either a sawn channel or laid in wet if the mortar joints fall right.
It is the builders responsibility to be sure these trades are not blowing it off.

As Barry said , even if this flashing is nailed back into place it will fail because it was incorrect from the start.

Cheremie

The stucco sub and the roofing sub need to leave the trades!:twisted:

And ditto what Barry said!\:D/ :mrgreen:

What did the wall look like below ?

I use a credit card to gauge the size things (cracks in concrete). However this ‘cat throwing’ sounds fun. I think I’ll start with my neighbor’s strays.

Thx,

tom

:smiley:

CB,

You know, wet, moldy, crumbly, or as the kids say, ICKY! :wink:

If it isn’t that way now give it time, maybe longer in Yuma, though.

I don’t think they get a lot of rain??? :mrgreen:

Kinda makes a person wonder about the rest of the stucco and if the windows and other openings are flashed.

Az. has its good pointes and bad! From the looks of that picture lack of moisture is a real good thing.

Just like alot of the pictures Dale Duffy post.

I am not sure about the credit card for the cracks I was told if a penny would fit in them then they would need repaired.

This might be an understatement!

**ICKY!:vomit: :wink: **

So what is the correct term for a goopey mush of substrate and structural members, that I often get to see? :mrgreen:

More like a homeowner that better have deep pockets!

Once the insurance company says the improper installation of the products is the cause of the problem then they will not pay.

Home owners get HOSED and they still have to pay the premimums. Then the insurance company finds a reason to drop them a few months down the road!

How does a person sell a house with water damage?

They came down $40,000 off mine, that’s how.

Cost me less than $12,000 to make the required repairs.

Left me with $28,000 equity. Not a bad deal. IMO